Unknown mammillaria

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

cactuspic

Unknown mammillaria

Post by cactuspic »

Ten or so years ago, i got an offset from a club member, a spiny ball 3/4ths of an inch in diameter. It's now about 9 inches tall, has 7 offset heads that sprout mid stem, and remains nameless. The annual grown ring is clearly defined.

Both shot were taken hand held with my G9. On the flower close up, I used a 250D diopter.

The flower close up also show an interesting lighting effect. In direct lighting , the cream color of the anthers is clear. In the flowers in the shadows, where much of the light that reaches the anthers has been reflected off the magenta colored flower petals, the anthers have a magenta color cast. When the petals of the flower are highly reflective, they can paint their surroundings with their color, if direct light is not given. Also, petals are often translucent and light coming through them will be colored.

Hope you enjoy.

Irwin

JoanYoung

Post by JoanYoung »

Another beautiful cactus Irwin and wonderful pictures of it. :)
Joan Young

cactuspic

Post by cactuspic »

Thanks Joan. I am hoping that Dave recognizes it

Irwin

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Yes a beautiful picture and speciman Irwin. What a great looking "hot Pink-purple" color
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Yes a beautiful picture and speciman Irwin. What a great looking "hot Pink-purple" color
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

cactuspic

Post by cactuspic »

Thank you Doug. It's been a joy to watch this plant develop. Last year was the first year the pups flowered. You'd think it would be distinctive enough to be easily identified. The contrast between the white fur and the rich hot pink just glows.

Irwin

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic