fly with a microfilm lens

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

gremlin

fly with a microfilm lens

Post by gremlin »

This was a test shot with a minolta microfilm lens and trying to get my lighting better. I was quite pleased with the way it turned out. 70 frames stacked in ZS and all taken on my converted microscope rig. It was a bit of a shock when the dust mite wandered into view, fascinating to watch it scavenging.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Lighting looks good from here.

Nice shot of the dust mite!

--Rik

leonardturner

Post by leonardturner »

Very nice, in spite of the wandering mite! The little critters don't have enough respect for the difficulty they can cause in shooting a stack. :lol:

Leonard

gremlin

Post by gremlin »

leonardturner wrote:Very nice, in spite of the wandering mite! The little critters don't have enough respect for the difficulty they can cause in shooting a stack. :lol:

Leonard
first time i've seen a mite, bit of a surprise but pleased he came along.

gremlin

Post by gremlin »

rjlittlefield wrote:Lighting looks good from here.

Nice shot of the dust mite!

--Rik
cheers, lucky to have seen it, first time for me

Olympusman

Mite

Post by Olympusman »

I once found a mite working a dead beetle I had stored for over a year. It was still moving around. After that, when I would capture a Bumblebee, I would soak it in alcohol to release the mites and let the solution settle down once I had removed the bee. Then with a pipette I would draw some of the sediment from the jar and centrifuge it. Interesting what mites do show up.

Mike
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

gremlin

Re: Mite

Post by gremlin »

Olympusman wrote:I once found a mite working a dead beetle I had stored for over a year. It was still moving around. After that, when I would capture a Bumblebee, I would soak it in alcohol to release the mites and let the solution settle down once I had removed the bee. Then with a pipette I would draw some of the sediment from the jar and centrifuge it. Interesting what mites do show up.

Mike
thanks i like the idea of that

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

The stack came out really well, nice pic.

The dust mite brings back memories. I had one appear and proceed to trample all over the diatoms I was mounting. Fortunately it was on the keeper slide, not the mount itself. Still a nuisance though as it scattered a lot of diatoms that had been paired by size and was travelling up the row threatening to jumble the rest up. Until I stabbed it with a glass needle...

gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Beatsy wrote:The stack came out really well, nice pic.

The dust mite brings back memories. I had one appear and proceed to trample all over the diatoms I was mounting. Fortunately it was on the keeper slide, not the mount itself. Still a nuisance though as it scattered a lot of diatoms that had been paired by size and was travelling up the row threatening to jumble the rest up. Until I stabbed it with a glass needle...
Thank you, I'm making some progress now I have better diffuse lighting.

Must have been rather annoying watching that happen

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic