Easy to use setup for photographing with Leitz microscope?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Peter, the adapter you linked to, is identical to the one you use?

I think the bayonet shown is for Leica M rangefinder cameras. If so, the flange focal distance is smaller than Canon EF mount, so likely the relay lens couldn't be focused to infinite and this could lead to parfocality issues.
Maybe it was also made with different camera mounts

Could you illustrate your setup with more detail?
Pau

Peter M. Macdonald

Post by Peter M. Macdonald »

I am away from home for a few days at the moment, so do not have access to scope or adaptor. However, when I got it there was a Leica bayonet adaptor attached at the camera end. I took it off and replaced it with a cheap T2 Canon adaptor. I assume that is why there is a small amount of adjustment built in with that slider.

As far as I am aware, there was only one model of this adaptor, fitting anything via a T2 adaptor. Sadly, Leitz did not put a part number on these. I have seen reference to a Leitz Mikas adaptor, but an not sure if this is that beast or not. At the time that these were made, Leica and Leitz had cryptic names for everything. A bit like Ikea today.

Ichthyophthirius

Post by Ichthyophthirius »

houstontx

Post by houstontx »

since we're on the subject of leitz adapters. I picked this one up, can anyone ID what unit it goes to? It fits nicely into my wild M3...thanks

dolmadis

Re: Easy to use setup for photographing with Leitz microscop

Post by dolmadis »

Ichthyophthirius wrote:

Regards, Ichty
Can you post please the length (height?) (and other dimensions if possible like depth of part inserted into trino) of each photo tube illustrated please?

Many thanks

John

Ichthyophthirius

Post by Ichthyophthirius »

Hi John,

Not mine but it looks about right. https://www.mikroskopie-forum.de/index. ... #msg223313

The 170 mm version is 47 mm high when inserted into the ISO port, the 160 mm version is 39 mm high.

Regards, Ichty

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

Thanks. It is good to have actuals.

John

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

houstontx,
This seems a nice photo adapter, simpler than the ones with built in viewfinder.
What needs some attention is the upper lens labeled 1X: Because it is meant to be used afocally with a 10X Periplan eyepiece the relay (secondary) magnification will be 10X, adequate for medium format film but too cropped for most digital cameras.
If so it will project the image pretty high over it, you can test putting a paper over it at different heights: if I'm right the image circle will be big and its height much bigger than the flange focus distance of DSLRs.
You likely will be able to use just the lower parts pictured at your third image to put a camera lens in a classic afocal setup like the one shown by Peter V. at the linked german forum post
Pau

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

Ichthyophthirius wrote:Hi John,

Not mine but it looks about right. https://www.mikroskopie-forum.de/index. ... #msg223313

The 170 mm version is 47 mm high when inserted into the ISO port, the 160 mm version is 39 mm high.

Regards, Ichty

So with the "hat" or 23.2mm tube projection on the 170 TL photo tube being 8mm it should be possible to simply cut that off and you are left with a 160 TL photo tube if that is what you needed?

Would welcome confirmation/thoughts.

Thanks

John

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Not sure if cutting the tube would you let enough seat for the eyepiece.
If you get the 170TL version the easier way is to put in it a 170 eyepiece, it's the same but with the shoulder 8mm higher. In my 160 Zeiss Standard microscope I use both types of eyepieces, the 170 ones just with a 8mm ring to raise them.
A 170 adapter with a 170 eyepiece will work perfectly in a 160 Leitz microscope
Pau

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic