It's been a LONG TIME

Lets get to know each other better. Here's a forum to post images and short autobiographies of ourselves as well as any other info you would like to post about yourself.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Carl_Constantine

It's been a LONG TIME

Post by Carl_Constantine »

HELLO EVERYBODY!!!! (*think Grover)

Happy New Year to everyone.

It's been a LONG time (too long) since I was here last. My life has been a roller coaster for quite some time. I still won't be here as often as I would like, but I will be browsing the forums, taking some pics and uploading and learning from everyone.

So, just to pop in and say HELLO!

It's good to be back!
Carl B. Constantine

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Welcome back, Carl. :D

Been wondering if you'd gone away and left us!

--Rik

Carl_Constantine

Nope, just busy as all get out.

Still actually trying to get a decent avatar to be below 6K, I just can't do it with any decent detail/resolution. at 65x56 and png format, it's still like 7-8K. DANG IT! :cry:
Carl B. Constantine

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

PNG files are not normally very tight for images. 3 bytes/pixel, often with little or no compression.

Try it as JPEG and GIF, one or the other is likely to be a lot better.

My avatar is now 13.3 KB as PNG 24-bit, 7.3 KB as PNG 8-bit, 5.8 KB as GIF, 5 KB as GIF if reduced to 65x56.

Thanks for prompting me to take a look at my own avatar. I host on my own server, so there was no limit enforced. I was significantly over the 6KB guideline (limit for hosting on photomacrography2.net).

--Rik

Carl_Constantine

AH HA!!! sneaky, forgot you can do that.

Thanks for reminding me Rik!
Carl B. Constantine

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Well, actually my comment was meant to be a suggestion about how to reduce the size of your avatar, not a suggestion to host it someplace else. Avatars have to load on everybody's pages, so the smaller the better. But it's not worth spending hours of effort on.

I simply had not paid any attention to the KB of my avatar because nothing prompted me to.

I was interested to discover that by shrinking it only very slightly, and converting it to gif, it went under the 6KB guideline with no problem. Also interesting was that jpeg format couldn't get even close to that small without completely messing up the image. Apparently that avatar of mine just has so much fine detail in it, that it ties jpeg's hands regarding compression.

--Rik

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Oh, by the way...

I do have to enforce the limit on 80x80 maximum pixels, no matter where the avatar is hosted.

The reason is that avatar size affects the page format. A large avatar in any reply may cut into the original poster's space for their image.

Offhand I don't see any ill effects from the size you have, but I'd appreciate shrinking it to within guidelines, just to be safe.

Thanks! :D

--Rik

salden

Post by salden »

Welcome back Carl. It is good to see you on the forums again :D
Sue Alden

Carl_Constantine

rjlittlefield wrote:Oh, by the way...

I do have to enforce the limit on 80x80 maximum pixels, no matter where the avatar is hosted.

The reason is that avatar size affects the page format. A large avatar in any reply may cut into the original poster's space for their image.

Offhand I don't see any ill effects from the size you have, but I'd appreciate shrinking it to within guidelines, just to be safe.

Thanks! :D

--Rik
OK, done. I even tried converting this image to a gif (in fireworks 'cuz for some stupid reason PS doesn't save as gif -- that's why I used PNG in the first place) and the gif image was larger in size 20k vs the 12k jpeg.

ahh nuts. I don't even have as many colors and it's only 8bit/pix. oh well. got it now.

Thanks,

OH, and Hello to you too Sue, good to be back.
Carl B. Constantine

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Thanks for shrinking the avatar, Carl. It looks good, BTW. :D
Carl_Constantine wrote:...for some stupid reason PS doesn't save as gif...
In Photoshop, you have to explicitly convert images to Image | Mode | Indexed Color.

After you've done that, then it'll show you the gif option. But not before. Confusing...

--Rik

puzzledpaul

Post by puzzledpaul »

<< have to explicitly convert images to Image | Mode | Indexed Color. >>

Hmmm... again, Rik ... interesting the difference with PS 5.5 :)

Get the Gif option 'up front' when saving (as) ...and then the options :)

'Progress', eh ?

Hi, Carl, btw.

pp

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic