Kalanchoe synsepala

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

cactuspic

Kalanchoe synsepala

Post by cactuspic »

Not having had a camera smaller than an SLR, I have been amazed at the capabilities of the G9. If you have ever maneuvered hands holding big slrs through a maze of cactus spines, and THEN try to bring your eyeball to the viewfinder without puncturing ears, cheeks, chests etc. Lol there were many shots over the years that I did not take. With its small size, image stabilization, and sharp resolution, I can take some of those images.

I was able to reach over a spiny beast and handhold to catch some beautiful light. Because of the awkward position, I would have not been able to handhold my DSLR. If I had take the time to move plants and set up my tripod, the light would have been gone.

I was using a Canon 500D diopter. Hope you enjoy.

Irwin

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

These are beautiful, Irwin. :D

I've become very fond of my A710, optics similar to the G9, but fewer pixels and no raw files. Now I'm slavering over the G9. Too many toys...

--Rik

cactuspic

Post by cactuspic »

Thank you Rik. I am actually shocked at how much I like my little G9. After I fried the electronics in my 20D, (something about 110 degree greenhouses, sweathogs, and electrical circuits) I wanted something smaller than my full size box. I never thought it would expand my capability by getting into place I couldn't get my "real camera" into. It's liberating to hand hold a shot and mosey to the next one in less time than i could set up my tripod. I need to send in the camera for repair (Some fool crossthreaded the adaper and needs professional extraction :oops:) but since its working are unimpaired I have a hard time letting the camera go. I haven't thought through all the benefits and disadvantages of using the small sensored G9 versus the full sizes sensor on the 1Ds MarkII but I think that would be an interesting post for the technical section.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

benefits and disadvantages ... interesting post for the technical section.
Good idea. See here. :D

--Rik
Edit: to clarify what the good idea was!
Last edited by rjlittlefield on Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Very nice shot,love the pastel lilac colour. Nice to see another plant lover on here too!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

cactuspic

Post by cactuspic »

Thanks Cyclops. You can never have too many plant lover.

Irwin

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

cactuspic wrote:Thanks Cyclops. You can never have too many plant lover.

Irwin

Exactly. I used to be known as GreenLarry on here for that very reason!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

cactuspic

Post by cactuspic »

Cyclops, what types of plants do you especially like to grow.

Irwin

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

cactuspic wrote:Cyclops, what types of plants do you especially like to grow.

Irwin
Err, um,, green ones! ;)
I just love all plants, am plant obsessed. I do particularly like succulents tho, and had quite a collection until my second greenhouse got trashed. Now I have a large collection but indoors! Have quite a few aloes-bit of an Aloe thing going on!
But I also love trees,big time!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic