68mm f4.5 Scanner Lens Test

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

RobertOToole

68mm f4.5 Scanner Lens Test

Post by RobertOToole »

This is an unmarked, unbranded scanner lens that I picked up that is an excellent performer. Earlier this year I posted results from another larger unmarked scanner lens that is from the same seller but I could not find that post using the site search tool but I can steer you to my site with more info on both lenses:

You can find a full test on my site:

https://www.closeuphotography.com/scanner-lens-x-small/

The larger unmarked scanner lens that I posted earlier this year:

https://www.closeuphotography.com/scanner-lens-x/

It's a small lens but not as tiny as the Minolta 5400 or Scanner Nikkor 7.

This lens is an excellent performer just take a quick look at this un-cropped 2500 pixel wafer image, click on the 1024 pixel version to open the full 2500 pixel version:

These are some crops comparing this lens to the APO-Componon 4/45 at 2.4x.

Be sure to click on these crop images to open at the full 2500 pixel version you can also save the images to view another app.

Center 100% view, APO-Componon 4/45 vs Scanner lens X

Corner 100% view, APO-Componon 4/45 vs Scanner lens X

BTW the 4/45 poor corner results are from a small image circle not field curvature.

TEST SET-UP
Camera: Sony A6300, model # ILCE-6300
Sensor size: 23.5 × 15.6 mm. APS-C. 28.21 mm diagonal. 3.92 micron sensor pitch
Flash: Godox TT350s wireless flash x 2 with one Godox X1s 2.4G wireless flash transmitter
Vertical stand: Nikon MM-11 with a Nikon focus block

A series of images was shot with each lens in 5 micron steps, and the sharpest image was chosen for center, edge, and corner Photoshop at 100% actual pixel view. All images were shot as a single RAW files and processed in PS CC with all noise reduction and lens correction turned off, all settings were zeroed out (true zero) and the same settings were used for all of the images. All of the images shown here are single files.

Verdict:

If you come across these in good condition I would recommend that you buy it, its an excellent lens and it should cost next to nothing, I paid $30 or so. If you see one and don't pick it up, let me know about it and I will.

Questions and comments welcome.

Robert

P.s. BTW I am working on a stacked 50mm lens comparison now, hopefully I can post the results tomorrow with some very interesting results!

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Wow, great find, once again!

Saul

Post by Saul »

Hi Robert,

Nice test. Any idea about scanner's brand/model ?

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Lou Jost wrote:Wow, great find, once again!
Wish all my lens buy decisions were this easy Lou!

It wasn't a hard decision, the lens was from the same seller as the other unmarked lens, the 95mm f3.4, and it was for the same price $19 and $3 s&h.

:D :D

Robert

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Saul wrote:Hi Robert,

No sorry, I asked, all they could say is that is was new, never used and came to them as part of a group of optics. I believe someone from the forum also messaged the seller and was not able to dig anymore info up.

If the seller let it go for $19, be might have paid $5 or even less :shock:

Just picked up two KOWA lenses for $4 at surplus shed :shock:

( Kowa is a very good Japanese machine vision lens manufacturer )

You never know :?

This is one of the two:

https://www.surplusshed.com/pages/item/L3138.html

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

RobertOToole wrote:
Saul wrote:Hi Robert,

No sorry, I asked, all they could say is that is was new, never used and came to them as part of a group of optics. I believe someone from the forum also messaged the seller and was not able to dig anymore info up.

If the seller let it go for $19, be might have paid $5 or even less :shock:

Just picked up two KOWA lenses for $4 at surplus shed :shock:

( Kowa is a very good Japanese machine vision lens manufacturer )

You never know :?

This is one of the two:

https://www.surplusshed.com/pages/item/L3138.html

How would you mount this on a Canon APS-C camera?

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Deanimator wrote: How would you mount this on a Canon APS-C camera?
Will let you know when it arrives, that is if Surplus Shed didn't lose my order, thats happened more than once :?

Hopefully I can find a 42mm, 39mm, 52mm, or Thorlabs/Newport tube that will that slip over the lens or I will have to use blue painters tape for a quick test before I get serious about mounting.

Robert

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

A while back I bought a bunch of lenses from SS (on one of their famous sales) to test as hand magnifiers (loupes), including many of the Kowas, the 32mm Tominon (and several other Tominons), and a few unmarked scanner lenses. I put them in storage and probably should get them out to test. I did find the 32mm Tominons when Robert tested his with good results, but the others are still packed. Hope I have examples of the two Kowas you got so we can compare. Good rainy day activity.

Robert, getting back to the OP lens, what was the WD at 2.4x? I suspect WD will be too short at 2.7-3.3x for my purposes, but would be curious to know.

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

The Kowa Lenses are out of stock.

John

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

dolmadis wrote:The Kowa Lenses are out of stock.

John
Thanks John.

I hope my order was processed at least :shock:

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

ray_parkhurst wrote:A while back I bought a bunch of lenses from SS (on one of their famous sales) to test as hand magnifiers (loupes), including many of the Kowas, the 32mm Tominon (and several other Tominons), and a few unmarked scanner lenses. I put them in storage and probably should get them out to test. I did find the 32mm Tominons when Robert tested his with good results, but the others are still packed. Hope I have examples of the two Kowas you got so we can compare. Good rainy day activity.

Robert, getting back to the OP lens, what was the WD at 2.4x? I suspect WD will be too short at 2.7-3.3x for my purposes, but would be curious to know.
I'll check my notes Ray and post the number.

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

RobertOToole wrote:I hope my order was processed at least :shock:
Fred at SS wrote "Thanks again for your order. However, both lenses sold out just before we received your order. Sorry about that.We’ll process a full refund to your PayPal account."

John

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic