Measuring a Turret Dovetail?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

dolmadis

Measuring a Turret Dovetail?

Post by dolmadis »

Hi

I wish to accurately measure a female dovetail so that I can make an order for a male counterpart to be machined.

I would appreciate some practical pointers on how to do this and what tools to use.

Thank you

John

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

What's the dovetail for (microscope, brand etc.?) He starts to explain it at 6:45 into the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VGOa69sePo

BTW I needed to know the angle of a scalpel blade so I could make a jig to resharpen them for my paper cutting hobby. I made a cross section of one, then photographed it with my MM-11 setup, then used ImageJ to measure the angle. That technique seemed to work for me.

I made this 60 degrees for my Optiphot (not that it's accurate but worked).

-JW:

PS: I'm NOT a real machinist so take anything I say with a grain of salt.

Ichthyophthirius

Re: Measuring a Turret Dovetail?

Post by Ichthyophthirius »

dolmadis wrote: I wish to accurately measure a female dovetail so that I can make an order for a male counterpart to be machined.
John
Hi,

Many female dovetails have 3 clamp screws (e.g. Zeiss, Nikon). In those cases, you need very few measurements as the fine adjustment can be done using the clamp screws.

It's more difficult if you have a complex dovetail design (e.g. Leitz, Leica). The diameter at the plane where the clamp screw touches the male dovetail is critical.

If you have more information on the microscope, it'll be easier to help.

Regards, Ichty

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

Hi

Thank you for you help.

I do not know the brand of the turret.

It is a salvage piece which I am using to build another vertical rig on the style of an MM-11.

Direct projection to a DSLR APSC.

BR

John

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

... more than likely it's 60 degrees or maybe 45. You could make a template out of heavier paper with a 60 degree angle on it and cut it out. Something like this. Should be very accurate if you cut it and drew accurate.

-JW:

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

Thanks. Will post a photo later.

John

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic