Radiolarians

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Beatsy

Radiolarians

Post by Beatsy »

I've been taking a closer look at the radiolarians I used for the 4k video test stacks the other day. The sample vial is labelled "perhaps barbados" and my first scans revealed fossil species typical of the area. But I found others that I'm not so sure about since. For example...

First image is the more typical mix of types, second is one of the "stand outs" that doesn't appear to be associated with Barbados deposits. I'm very short on reference material for this area though, so it could be typical after all. More investigation needed...

Note: these are among the largest specimens as the smaller ones were separated out before making strews.

Edit: oops! messed up my maths. Scale bar is totally wrong. It's about 46µm in reality, not 100µm as shown.[/u]

JH

Post by JH »

:D
Regards Jörgen
Jörgen Hellberg, my webbsite www.hellberg.photo

Tom Jones

Post by Tom Jones »

Absolutely gorgeous! :D

Tom

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Really beautiful light. They don't give the usual visual cues (like imperfect or flat lighting, or abrupt drop-off of background sharpness) that tell us we are looking at photos of microscopic objects. These could be photos of big pieces of glass jewelry or Tiffany lamps or big sea shells. That's hard to accomplish.

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone - always nice to get. And thanks Lou for the memory jog by mentioning "microscope". I've been meaning to try a brightfield approach by mounting on a coverslip and lighting from behind with an LED flat panel. In fact...

[short pause]

...just resumed typing after doing exactly that :) Very quick stack at 50x as described above. Yowza! This is a way better result than I could get on my microscope as lens aberrations kick in once you get too deep into the stack (looking through a coverslip). FoV is 0.7mm wide here. Now they look much more like the illustrations and photos in the reference books. Definitely going to do more of these but I'll put them in a separate post. Thanks again for the prompt Lou!

Sumguy01

Post by Sumguy01 »

:smt038 Very nice photos.
Thanks for sharing.

benjamind2014

Post by benjamind2014 »

Wow, that has to be the best image I've seen of detailed radiolarians taken without a coverslip.

I presume these were taken with a 50x mitty?

anne

Post by anne »

Hi Steve,
thank you for showing this sample, I remember this.
Hope you will show more fo the species in this sample.

BR
Anne

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic