Intro

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

photosbytw

Intro

Post by photosbytw »

OOOFT..........getting a little too complicated.........or is this part of the vetting process :shock: :shock: 8) 8)

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Welcome aboard -- nice image! :D

I had to ask the internet what "OOOFT" might mean. It suggested "an extended exclamation in regard to something pleasing or unusual that has just been seen".

Was that what you intended?

If so, can you be a little more explicit about what the "something" was? And what is this "vetting process" you speak of? :smt017

--Rik

photosbytw

Post by photosbytw »

rjlittlefield wrote:Welcome aboard -- nice image! :D

I had to ask the internet what "OOOFT" might mean. It suggested "an extended exclamation in regard to something pleasing or unusual that has just been seen".

Was that what you intended?

If so, can you be a little more explicit about what the "something" was? And what is this "vetting process" you speak of? :smt017

--Rik

Hiya Rik,

Don't mind me........it was late.......a couple of cocktails in me.........and I kept screwing up downloading the image to your site...........

I'm about to give your software a run. I bought the Stackshot and the word on the internet is that Zerene and my 27" iMac do not play well together?

tw
Since I have retired and I've rekindled a love for photography. I don't take myself serious but I do take creating interesting and well executed images seriously.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I kept screwing up downloading the image to your site
Yeah, that process seems a lot less intuitive than it should be. Unfortunately it's controlled by a plugin that is no longer supported by the plugin's author. So realistically, the options are to either live with it or make really big changes that would probably break a lot of other stuff.
word on the internet is that Zerene and my 27" iMac do not play well together?
On some Macs, not necessarily 27" iMacs, the retouching brush is agonizingly sluggish. Everything else is OK. This problem has been reported to me by only a few users, but I assume there are others that just talk among themselves without asking for support.

Best available information from the users I've worked with is that selecting Options > Preferences > Look & Feel > "Java cross-platform Look & Feel" causes the problem to go away or at least become a lot less troublesome, to the point where retouching works OK.

Do you happen to still have a link to that word on the internet?

--Rik

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

By the way, this thread is misplaced in "Macro and Close-up Archives". I'll move it to "Technical and Studio Photography -- Macro and Close-up" after you've had a chance to see this reply.

--Rik

photosbytw

Post by photosbytw »

Do you happen to still have a link to that word on the internet?

--Rik[/quote]

LOL................no link but I reached out to one of the "users" I had a somewhat recent chat...............it was on your website.........he(I'm assuming it's a he) explained that you had posted what problems might occur and not just with iMac's.............

tw

ps move when you can
Since I have retired and I've rekindled a love for photography. I don't take myself serious but I do take creating interesting and well executed images seriously.

santiago

Post by santiago »

rjlittlefield wrote:Best available information from the users I've worked with is that selecting Options > Preferences > Look & Feel > "Java cross-platform Look & Feel" causes the problem to go away or at least become a lot less troublesome, to the point where retouching works OK.
Indeed. This setting seems to also improve Zerene's overall performance (I'm on a Mac), including the stacking process. I did a quick test with a stack of 15 frames. Here are the durations of the whole stacking process, from clicking on "Stack selected (DMap)" to the moment Zerene makes a sound to notify that the stack is finished ("Use preset contrast threshold" was on).

Using the native look & feel:

first stack after starting Zerene: 86 seconds
repeated stack 2nd time: 78 seconds
repeated stack 3rd time: 78 seconds

Using the Java look & feel:

first stack after starting Zerene: 71 seconds
repeated stack 2nd time: 65 seconds
repeated stack 3rd time: 65 seconds

When using the Java look & feel stacking is roughly 1.2X faster than with the native look & feel. Retouching and just clicking on stuff seems to react faster. Personally I would recommend having the Java look & feel always selected.

Hardware:

Mac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)
Processor: 3,4 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory: 40 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Graphics: Radeon Pro 570 4096 MB

Zerene settings:

Recommended max image size in MP: 80,0
Absolute max image size in MP: 110,6
Megabytes of memory allocated for 64-bit Zerene: 8000
Last edited by santiago on Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Santiago
Flickr

santiago

Post by santiago »

photosbytw, forgot to say, great picture and very nice spider! :)
Santiago
Flickr

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic