Two Questions: Flocking & tube length

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

bs0604

Two Questions: Flocking & tube length

Post by bs0604 »

I am in the process of building a macro extension tube set mimicking the pieces posted by rjlittlefield in a prior post. I have nearly all the pieces except the objective thread adapter which is on order and the objective itself which, in view of its relatively large expense, I figure I will wait to order once I have all the other pieces.
1). How do I figure how long the apparatus should be? Is this length from sensor to tip of objective? And if so how do I determinate length from the camera sensor to the camera's external bayonet mount? Placing a ruler against the sensor does not seem like a wise move.
2). How do I apply the flocking. Do you screw a few of the components together and apply flocking to sections independently and then assemble the these sections?

hero

Post by hero »

In regard to the distance from the mount to the sensor, this is called the flange focal distance, and you can look it up for a number of popular camera models at this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flange_focal_distance.

The other distances will depend on the objective type. Different manufacturers of infinity-corrected microscope objectives need a tube lens of various focal lengths, if I recall correctly. Others are much more knowledgeable about this than I am.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic