Infinite Vs Finite w/ Tube Lens, Now This is Interesting

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

RobertOToole

Infinite Vs Finite w/ Tube Lens, Now This is Interesting

Post by RobertOToole »

Lou gave me an idea last night so just for fun I swapped the Xenon for my Lomo 3.7x 0,11 on the Makro-Symmar

Can you guess the IDs with these 100% crops?

Which is which?

Lomo 3,7 0.11 + Makro-Symmar 120 at 3.7x

Mitutoyo M Plan 5x + Sigma 150 OS pushed down to 3.75x.

Robert

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Just one note.

I need to add that the Lomo 3,7 is not as sharp as the mitutoyo M Plan 5x when its on extension alone.

Robert

elimoss

Post by elimoss »

Wow! Good work! Care to try the Lomo on the Raynox DCR-250 or 150? Or even the 4x $17 dollar generic knurled objective on the DCR-250? Because those are inexpensive combos.

JH

Post by JH »

Interesting!

My guess is that the first one is the Mitutoyo because the CA colours on the first one looks like the CA I see with my Mitutoyo.

I do not have a waffer so I can not test it my self, but my experience is that the Canon mp 35 mm macro works quite well in combination with some tube lenses - so if possible it would be interesting to se a comparrison.

Best regards
Jörgen Hellberg
Jörgen Hellberg, my webbsite www.hellberg.photo

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

elimoss wrote:Wow! Good work! Care to try the Lomo on the Raynox DCR-250 or 150? Or even the 4x $17 dollar generic knurled objective on the DCR-250? Because those are inexpensive combos.
Yes, I think the DCR-250 + $17 4x might work pretty well together.

The stacking combos are hit or miss sometimes. You can take two good objectives and the aberrations don't cancel, they magnify these together.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

JH wrote:Interesting!

My guess is that the first one is the Mitutoyo because the CA colours on the first one looks like the CA I see with my Mitutoyo.

I do not have a waffer so I can not test it my self, but my experience is that the Canon mp 35 mm macro works quite well in combination with some tube lenses - so if possible it would be interesting to se a comparrison.

Best regards
Jörgen Hellberg
Hi JH,

I did try a MP-20 and it was not very good but I think I was pushing too much magnification, something like 6x, but I am sure there is a good tube lens out there somewhere that would work well for both MPs.

Let me know if you experiment on the MP-35.

Robert

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

This test reminded me of other work by a Member................

https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... soldevilla
I have just visually tested all my microscope objectives in front of an achromatic 120mm focal length and I do not have vignetage with any. I see spherical aberration in the 4x, but that lens is the one that worries me the least, because it works perfect with the zoom.
BR

John

JH

Post by JH »

Usually I have found no gain using a finite objective outside its specifications. The exceptions I use from time to time is a Nikon plan apo 20x 0.75 0.17 160 mm and a Nikon plan apo 10x 0.45 0.17 160mm that both works at 210 mm.

With a 20mp FF camera the Canon mp 35 mm seems to work quite well for example with the ITL 200. For ease of use the mp35 objective is better on a bellow, but my testing skills is not so good that I can decide if the image quality is better or worse when I use it with a tube lens.

Best regards
Jörgen Hellberg
Jörgen Hellberg, my webbsite www.hellberg.photo

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

So the answer is that the first crop, the cooler toned image is from the Mitutoyo. The second and warmer toned image is the Lomo 3,7 + Makro-Symmar 120.

I have some more examples of the Lomo+MS tube lens from some recent testing, the results are even better than I thought at first, I will post these in a couple of days when I get a chance.

Thanks for the all of the comments.

Robert

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

This is so interesting, thanks for taking a crazy chance and making these tests! The Lomo is a great lens even in its normal use on extension, but your tests on a tube lens show that it is even more versatile than we thought.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic