Fuji Macro

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rextilleon

Fuji Macro

Post by rextilleon »

Hello--I am slowly but surely learning the in's and outs of Macro shooting. I'm using the T-2 and the Fuji 80mm 2.8 macro lens. I'm using the built in stacking module in Photoshop and so far I'm not terribly pleased with the results. I was considering buying Helicon because I would like to control my camera via my laptop. I am a long time Lightroom User and I noticed Fuji isn't supported as a tethering app in LR. You have to purchase additional software. Has anybody used this software and what are its strengths and weaknesses?

Is there a better way to go using Fuji and Lightroom.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to learning much about Macro.

Miljenko

Post by Miljenko »

The best workflow for Fuji X-T2 is shooting raw, reading with Capture One, correcting CA, WB and other basic adjustments in C1 as well, exporting as TIFF (JPEG works OK, too), importing to Zerene Stacker (some prefer Helicon), slabbing and retouching if needed. After all of that you can import resulting jpeg into LR and do whatever you like.
All things are number - Pythagoras

rextilleon

Post by rextilleon »

Thanks---I'll follow your recommendations.

TheDocAUS

Post by TheDocAUS »

Exporting from Capture One to Helicon Focus works very well.

It is a very smooth seamless process, the two companies obviously worked together. I was impressed when I used it.

I normally use LR and Helicon and create a DNG stacked image which I can then post process in LR.

rextilleon

Post by rextilleon »

To this point I have been doing my stacking in Photoshop and haven't had the best of results.

TheDocAUS

Post by TheDocAUS »

My PS stacking results have always been poor, Helicon worked much, much better for me. Zerene and Helicon, from memory, both have trial versions. So I tested both and then made my decision.

Miljenko

Post by Miljenko »

Photoshop programmers (managers, actually) always wanted to offer Swiss army knife. But they didn't polish some of the functions up to the quality we expect, stacking being one of those. Unfortunately, another lowsy function is ACR (raw converter plug-in) which is not that bad for Bayer interpolation sensors, but terrible for X-Trans sensors found in Fujifilm cameras. Capture One is many light years ahead of ACR being bettered a bit only by Irident X-Transformer utility.

rextilleon

Post by rextilleon »

I use the Lightroom add-on for Fuji--Is it worth the 80---not so sure. It works okay although I think its still a little buggy. As far as Helicon and Fuji goes, my understanding is that Fuji does not work with Helicon. I might be wrong.

TheDocAUS

Post by TheDocAUS »

Helicon Remote only works with Canon and Nikon cameras.

Helicon Focus will work with processed files from all camera makes. You can for example process RAWs in LR and then stack them in Helicon Focus and output a DNG file of your stacked image. It is called RAW in DNG out mode: https://www.heliconsoft.com/raw-in-dng-out/

Miljenko

Post by Miljenko »

The main disadvantage of having Fuji (or anything else other than Canon or Nikon) is lack of "universal" programs. However, there are so many advantages of using mirrorless cameras over standard DSLRs that one can forgive that minor miscomfort. And using clever stacking controllers like MJKZZ IR Controller gives you complete control over stacking process without a need for PC and software.

StoryInPictures

Post by StoryInPictures »

Capture One now offers better Fuji support and has promised to add tethering for Fuji soon. There is a free version of Capture One for Fuji (I'm not sure what features are or are not supported--I use the regular paid version).

Fuji offers a free program called X-Aquire which can be used to tether your Fuji camera. You then can make it a hot folder and watch it with Lightroom or Capture One to see your images come in.

My experience is using it with Capture One with the Xpro2 and it works quite well. I am looking forward to the improved tethering features which are coming, which allow for much more.
@storyinpictures_com

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic