Wild M5 vs M5D also Photography with DSLR

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

tabarnes

Wild M5 vs M5D also Photography with DSLR

Post by tabarnes »

I just bought a M5D. Wondering what the difference is between the M5 and the M5D. Only difference I can see is in the design of the focusing knob.

Also I just bought this and it has the photo set up but wondering if anyone had tried to use a DSLR on this type of equipment.

Any insights would be great.

viktor j nilsson

Post by viktor j nilsson »

Never heard of a Wild M5D. Do you have a photo you can share with us?

tabarnes

Post by tabarnes »

pictureImage
Here are the pictures

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

Ooh, I bid low on that one. You got an amazing deal.
The first picture was best though, looks like it is drunk and ready for a brawl:
These are a favorite, considered by at least some one of the best lines of stereoscopes ever made. I haven't had a chance to use one, but adapting it should be pretty straightforward. I imagine there are ready to buy adapters on eBay, and it would lilely be easy to put your own together from a few converters and extenders.

tabarnes

Post by tabarnes »

I could not believe the price I got on it. The eyepieces cleaned up in no time. The scope was packed poorly when received but there are no issues. Everything cleaned up very well and works.

I am trying to figure out how to connect it to a DSLR.

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

One of these would probably work https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3822999079
I have one for my m420 and it works, though it isn't parfocal. There are a few on eBay, just search adapter wild m5, be sure to acrivate searching in the description.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Because you got it with the photo equipment at the picture, likely you can use some of its parts to adapt a DSLR, the pictured camera seems to be 35mm film.

Very likely it is based in the afocal principle like most Leitz/Wild setups from that era, is there an eyepiece placed inside the lower part jut at the photoport?. If so it must have a lens in the middle part to focus the image on film.
You could substitute the whole adapter for a camera lens of the adequate focal length focused to infinite or to substitute the upper tube of the adapter for a shorter one to fit the camera mount.

What sensor format, FF, APSC...?

I have a Wild M5Apo without phototube and nice as it is for visual observation I've tested it afocally and, like most stereos, although useful it is not very good for quality photography: distortions at low magnification and unsharpness at higher due to the limited NA (empty magnification). Again, like most stereos, because the optical paths are not centered, the image changes both position and angle during focusing, not tested but I guess it would be inadequate for focus stacking

About afocal, take a look at http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?p=99265
Pau

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

Just out of curiosity, why a lens focused to infinity? I don't think Wild was doing infinity corrected optics in their stereos back when. The makroskops aren't anyway. I would think direct projection would be the easiest approach if possible.

houstontx

Post by houstontx »

here is a link to a similar setup I use to attach my DSLR to the M5A phototube

https://blog.noq2.net/wild-m8-phototube ... hting.html

my issue is that I don't have the #3 piece in the listed adapter photo, im guessing its the aluminum "nikon relay lens holder 38mm" Does anyone know where to find this?

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Scarodactyl wrote:Just out of curiosity, why a lens focused to infinity? I don't think Wild was doing infinity corrected optics in their stereos back when. The makroskops aren't anyway. I would think direct projection would be the easiest approach if possible.
The image of a visual type eyepiece when the microscope is properly set at its ideal position is projected to infinite, when you put your eye over it you have a relaxed vision. If you use a camera lens to project the image it must be focused to infinite. It's explained at the beginning of my linked thread. This is independent of the microscope designed with finite or infinite objectives.
Pau

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

houstontx wrote:here is a link to a similar setup I use to attach my DSLR to the M5A phototube

https://blog.noq2.net/wild-m8-phototube ... hting.html

my issue is that I don't have the #3 piece in the listed adapter photo, im guessing its the aluminum "nikon relay lens holder 38mm" Does anyone know where to find this?
Is the phototube designed to hold a 30mm eyepiece?
If you place one of the eyepieces in it, is it parfocal with the one in the visual normal position?
If affirmative to both questions ir will be very well suited for afocal.
Pau

tabarnes

Post by tabarnes »

The actual unit has a lot of electronics and has a shutter I believe.
At the end of the phototube there is a 30mm eyepiece X

g4lab

Post by g4lab »

The camera adapter that Scarodactyl posted will work with an M4xx series but not with this one. As you have noted it takes a 30 mm eyepiece. 30 mm camera adapters are easily available and should work well. I would suggest a smaller sensor camera to use with this scope.

These scopes were known to be hyper stereoscopic. They have wider spacing between the two optical tubes which is effected by a prism after the objective but before the mag changer tubes. The prism provides convergence through the objective to give depth perception and living with some distortion which is mostly irrelevant for visual use. This is in contrast to the M series which are designed for low distortion , and flat field suitable for integrated circuit measurements.

I think the d suffix just refers to the focusing mount which is simpler to assemble than the ones on the original M5. I note that one side appears to be made of aluminum rather than brass to brass. When an original M5 turns its lubricants to glue they are very difficult to break free. I successfully broke one loose literally with a small sledge hammer operating through hardwood. There was no choice. I urge you to keep that unit lubricated preferably with a teflon based grease. You will love that scope.

The M5 like all Wilds has what I call "that Wild snap" . The image is bright and contrasty , wide field and has good color rendition compared to other stereos especially ones that use 22.3mm oculars. And unparalleled build quality.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic