American Optical parts

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Photomicro

American Optical parts

Post by Photomicro »

Very unusually for this side of the pond, I have picked up an American Optical Series 20 stand, which was in need of some TLC. Sadly, the trinocular head has a main central prism (that is swung out when the lever is flicked) that has lost a great deal of the silvering.

There were one or two bits in the box that I am a little unsure of, but no doubt someone here will recognise.

Firstly, a green filter, Cat. 408, but this is in a mount, so not for fitting into the filter turrets on the 20. What stand would this have been for, and where?

Secondly, a filter turret for between the head and the binocular head. I can't find a reference to this, nor can I see a Cat number on it. Frustratingly, the few filters in it are filthy, and the three bolts (allen?) have so far resisted my attempts to loosen.

Lastly, this item, which I am unsure if it is in fact AO. About 42mm diameter, with the filter around 22mm.

kind regards, and thanks for any contributions.

Mike
regards, Mike.

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like bananas.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/66189529@N08/

Photomicro

Re: American Optical parts

Post by Photomicro »

Photomicro wrote:
Secondly, a filter turret for between the head and the binocular head. I can't find a reference to this, nor can I see a Cat number on it. Frustratingly, the few filters in it are filthy, and the three bolts (allen?) have so far resisted my attempts to loosen.

Mike
As a follow up to this;

1. I got the screws out, and have seen that there are two rotating circles, each holding four filters, of size 19mm. They look like barrier filters to me.

2. Some reasoning based on the above, and looking at catalogues online, this is the turret containing the barrier filters of an AO H20 Flourestar (odd spelling, but that is what is used in the catalogue). It seems there was also a V20, for an alternative to the FITC system.

Fascinating to look at what was available in 1975, nearly half a Century ago.
regards, Mike.

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like bananas.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/66189529@N08/

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic