What zoom macro lens/objective is this?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

It looks as if the video replay is a stacked image, not live, since the DOF is very deep.

The rotary head, using a mirror, looks amazing.

The prices are not outrageous depending on whats included for the price, for example, the rotary head set-up.

Robert

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

The comparison table doesn't seem accurate, it has quite few errors and imprecisions and provides few meaningful data.

High resolution and large DOF are contradictory, we know, it just sounds like a typical commercial statement.

I've not yet browsed all pdf documentation but I don't see references to NA anywhere.

This is of course a very impressive automated system and clearly very useful, but for now I don't see it being the Holy Grail of macro, and even less for micro.
Last edited by Pau on Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pau

JohnyM

Post by JohnyM »

I've also failed to find any NA or F values. Additionaly it's a mystery to me, how you get 58 mpx image from "Non-Tiled Image" coming from 1/1.8" 2,1mpx sensor?

http://www.hirox-europe.com/products/mi ... x8700.html

Even with pixel shifting that kind of improvement is impressive...
Yet, in video you dont even get FHD.

This sounds like some magical "laws of physics not applying" instrument.

58 megapixels 1/100000 electronic only shutter, i guess rolling shutter might be a real problem with anything that moves.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

JohnyM wrote:I've also failed to find any NA or F values. Additionaly it's a mystery to me, how you get 58 mpx image from "Non-Tiled Image" coming from 1/1.8" 2,1mpx sensor?
It must refer to the maximum stitched image with its auto-stitch function without tilting the camera

It's also weird that magnification is not referred o sensor size but to a given monitor size
Pau

JohnyM

Post by JohnyM »

Im not a native speaker, so im not sure if im interpreting it right.

But according to my understanding, "tiled" should mean stiched images, and "tilted" would mean angling the camera. Like with tilt-shift lens.

Anyway they specify 58 mpx for NON - TILED and 225mpx for TILED images, so i have no idea how they achive that res if it's not stiched. I hope it's not simple upsizing...

About table that Robert referenced and compound microscopes:

CM surpass XY resolution of 1um as quickly as you reach 10x lens so that's first missleading information.

Z resolution of 1um is surpassed with lens like 40x/0,75

Most of my micro objectives have no troubles with APS-C senor.

With their 1/1.8" sensor, that means they would need 3x lens with Na of 0.3 to match FOV and resolution of CM with 10x objective.

That would also mean that they need ~13x lens with Na of 0,75 to match 1um Z resolution of CM.

I imagine that's the reason why they do not reference NA or F numbers of their lenses. Because whole device is operating on highly diffracted images with large DOF. But that makes me scratch my head why there is as much as 52 mpx "non-tiled" image produced with such lens?

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

JohnyM wrote:Im not a native speaker, so im not sure if im interpreting it right.

But according to my understanding, "tiled" should mean stiched images, and "tilted" would mean angling the camera. Like with tilt-shift lens.

Anyway they specify 58 mpx for NON - TILED and 225mpx for TILED images, so i have no idea how they achive that res if it's not stiched. I hope it's not simple upsizing
Oops! I'd read tilted
...and my English is very likely much worse than yours!

But a 58mpx image with a 2.01mpx sensor must be stitched (tiled?), I'm too old and sceptic to believe in magic

some more mistakes:
- LSM produces colour images, usually with great DOF due to focus stacking
- The resolution limit of compound microscopes is about 0.2micron with 1.4 NA and green light, now surpassed with superresolution techniques
- SEM is useful in the macro range and can provide very accurate measurements (...and TEM!). SEM is very easy to operate with some formation and the sample preparation facilities, I've done it myself.
...and so
Pau

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic