Nikon Z7 and Z6

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

louisx

Nikon Z7 and Z6

Post by louisx »

Welcom to the new nikon Z7 and Z6 with a new mount :(
Do you thinks is time to sell lens in F mount before the price fall on floor ?

Pau
Site Admin

Re: Nikon Z7 and Z6

Post by Pau »

louisx wrote:Do you thinks is time to sell lens in F mount before the price fall on floor ?
Worse: all Nikon F stuff shortly will self disintegrate, the countdown is already running :D
Pau

louisx

Post by louisx »

is coming soon a new 52mm “NOCT” f/0.9
If the D6 is a mirrorless, the whole range will be replaced ... and the ftz adapter changes nothing. A lot of dusty nest in perspective like this one

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

This is great news for us! I'd love to buy some fancy F-mount lenses for peanuts!!!!!

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Will the new lenses fit on an obsolescent D850 with an adapter? It would need optics :(.
Chris R

svalley

Post by svalley »

An adapter is available for use with existing Nikkor F-mount lenses.

Steve
"You can't build a time machine without weird optics"
Steve Valley - Albany, Oregon

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Sure, but I'm asking whether the latest glass will be usable on F mount?

=> does F mount lens development stop?
Chris R

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

ChrisR wrote:Sure, but I'm asking whether the latest glass will be usable on F mount?

=> does F mount lens development stop?
Chris,

Don't think that the Z mount designed lenses would work well on F mount. Even with "optics" to correct for the flange to sensor distance (16mm vs 46.5mm) and the 55mm vs. 43mm mount opening, you would also need some electronics to reverse the information flow (camera to lens and back). All this seem to make the Z to F mount adapter a worthless effort since the IQ will be degraded, maybe severely. Whereas the F mount to Z mount adapter apparently does not degrade the IQ of the F mount lenses according to Nikon.

Don't think the F mount lens development will all of a sudden stop, maybe slow down. Just look at the apparently superb new Nikon 500 F5.6 that uses the Fresnel lens like the 300 F4, soon I would expect to see this same lens concept in the 600mm length. Plus the 3rd parties will still be producing F mount lenses for the massive customer base available, so don't think the F mount will immediately die.

Sure this is the beginning of the end for the F mount, and I don't think Nikon will be introducing many more F mount cameras, but the end is a long ways away!!

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

Hello everyone,
Does anybody know if the focus-bracketing has been implemented in Z-cameras?
I haven’t found any information about that up to now :-(
BR, ADi

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Yes, it has it; I saw a brief reference to it somewhere in the official Nikon literature. It does not have pixel-shifting though.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Mike - Yes I concur, and beginning of the end for a lot of things about now, probably!

I have read that the Z7 does, and does not, have a silent shutter.
Both were indirect references though. Has anyone heard it from the horse?
Chris R

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

ChrisR wrote:Mike - Yes I concur, and beginning of the end for a lot of things about now, probably!

I have read that the Z7 does, and does not, have a silent shutter.
Both were indirect references though. Has anyone heard it from the horse?
dpreview:
The camera's mirrorless design makes it easy to offer a fully silent electronic shutter mode. With our preliminary findings, we estimate the readout speed of this sensor at roughly 1/15 sec: a rate comparable with the Sony a7R III. It can be used with burst shooting but is likely to mean compression or elongation of moving subjects or rolling shutter artifacts while panning.

There's also an electronic first curtain option that uses the electronic shutter to start the exposure and the mechanical one to end it. Doing so limits the maximum shutter speed to 1/2000 sec and the maximum ISO to 25,600. This is off by default but we think it's worth turning on to reduce the risk of shutter shock. It also comes with a slight risk of banding under certain types of lighting.
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon- ... s-review/2
Last edited by Pau on Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pau

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Chris,

Don't know, but would suspect it would have this since the D850 does (totally silent mode , no movement whatsoever).

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic