54 Watchers - anyone here?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

dolmadis

54 Watchers - anyone here?

Post by dolmadis »

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Not me.

I've never seen that mount before. Sort of like CFD but? Is that an earlier version?

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

FD and FL are 3 flange so thats not it.

My guess, 16mm movie camera.

Lens is realistically worth about 0.01 % of the asking price.

Robert

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

RobertOToole wrote:FD and FL are 3 flange so thats not it.

My guess, 16mm movie camera.

Lens is realistically worth about 0.01 % of the asking price.

Robert
That would only be $4.

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

The mount looks tiny, it's certainly not an FX lens and I'm 95% sure it can't even cover DX.

$40k?

Probably not even worth $1500. There's plentiful weird lenses of such that worth about really nothing. Holy grail? Lol.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Macro_Cosmos wrote:The mount looks tiny, it's certainly not an FX lens and I'm 95% sure it can't even cover DX.

$40k?

Probably not even worth $1500. There's plentiful weird lenses of such that worth about really nothing. Holy grail? Lol.
Hmm, not sure what you are looking at. The lens mount is huge! It looks to be ~2.3" inner diameter, where a CFD is ~1.7".

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

FYI,

Using the measurement tool in Photoshop and calibrating it to the ruler next to the lens in the Ebay photo the OD of the rear of the lens is 1.97 inches or 50mm. EOS mount is something like 65mm (from memory).

When I enlarged the image to measure the lens, it looks like the rear of the lens is warped or bent, at least in the Ebay photo.

That kind of thing can affect image quality I would guess.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

FYI

This is an outrageously good Ebay ad, for a change:

SK makro-symmar 5.9/120 in V-mount for only BIN $295 with free DHL express.

This is the 0.75x version (forward).

That's a steal for that lens, and the seller's packaging is world class.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

RobertOToole wrote:FYI,

Using the measurement tool in Photoshop and calibrating it to the ruler next to the lens in the Ebay photo the OD of the rear of the lens is 1.97 inches or 50mm. EOS mount is something like 65mm (from memory).

When I enlarged the image to measure the lens, it looks like the rear of the lens is warped or bent, at least in the Ebay photo.

That kind of thing can affect image quality I would guess.
I made my measurements a bit differently. Here's a 100% crop of the ruler between 9 and 10 inches. The distance between 9 and 10 is 108pixels:

And here is a crop of the lens mount, not across the lens, but the actual opening in the mount breech clamp. It is 260 pixels across:

So the breech clamp opening is ~2.4". Corresponding dimension of CFD and EOS are both ~2".

The 120mm Makro Symmar is indeed a great buy. Wish I could use such long lenses in my system, but I'm working distance challenged. I've had great luck with the 80mm version though!

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Hi Ray,

Sorry I quoted mm, should have used inches. Also we are probably measuring different sections in the image.

Just measured my MP-E 65 sitting here, the female side EOS flange outer diameter is 64mm or 2.5 inches, the male side, flange to flange is 53mm or 2 in.

FYI for the future:

How To Measure in Photoshop CS with the Ruler Tool

Open PS, open an image.

Go to Menu>Image>Analysis>Set measurement Scale>Custom

Drag the curser to measure the reference distance, 1 inch on a ruler for example, then change the logical units to inch, or mm as in the below.

Press Ok.

Now if you drag the cursor across something it shows the new scaled measurement data.

If you can remember, this is a quick way to find magnification, just dont forget to shoot an image of a ruler in the first place.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

That might have been better to split that into a new topic?

:?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic