3D printing - what can you do with it?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ChrisR
Site Admin

3D printing - what can you do with it?

Post by ChrisR »

I have some limited access to 3D printers at a "Maker lab" but I've not tried the process yet. I'd have to learn a CAD program first. I have some general questions:

Are threads practical, - say 0.25" x 20 (female), M42, or RMS?

One of the printers is a resin, SLA type.
The others use the normal filament, nobody has gone beyond PLA.
Has anyone tried, eg, Nylon-X?

How about say an extension tube, 150mm long, threaded each end, with an arca-compatible foot running the length?

What forum-relevant objects have you made successfully, or failed to make successfully?
Chris R

Saul

Re: 3D printing - what can you do with it?

Post by Saul »

ChrisR wrote:...Are threads practical, - say 0.25" x 20 (female), M42, or RMS?...
No. All my 3d prints are mixed with different ebay steel/aluminum adapters. As James (Smokedaddy) mentioned - if you want to print a thread, it will cost you a fortune - special process/material/printer.
What forum-relevant objects have you made successfully, or failed to make successfully?
Some of them:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bauras/al ... 1397569758
Failed ? Maybe FO adapter/reflector, but it was problem not with the 3d printout, but with my idea, I had to keep led as close as possible to the FO entrance...Have some unfinished projects which could fail also ;)
Saul
μ-stuff

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

So do you print around an adapter? . What's going on here,
https://flic.kr/p/WevoRu
say?
Last edited by ChrisR on Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris R

Saul

Post by Saul »

ChrisR wrote:So do you print around an adapter? . Waht's going on here,
https://flic.kr/p/WevoRu
say?
No, adapters are pressed/epoxied on.
In the flickr link - 140mm 1.9 BeLomo projection lens with 3d adapter/62-42mm combo , 42mm focuser and 42mm-F mount adapter. Very shallow DOF and nice bokeh.
Saul
μ-stuff

elf

Post by elf »

The SLA printer should be able to do fine threads. Whether or not they will be strong enough is the question :D

On my FDM printer, I can reliably make Module 1 gears and GT2-3mm timing pulleys. I usually print in ABS and occasionally with nylon. Both need a heated bed and enclosure.

Lens hoods are a great application for 3d printing.

Custom camera handgrips are another, but modeling them for a precise fit on the camera is not easy.

I use Fusion 360 for 3d modeling.

perdu34

Post by perdu34 »

I print all the diffusers and lighting modifiers I use in ABS. The HackSpace I have access to has about 15 UP Minis, 4 Ultimakere 3's as well as several other bigger printers and a SLA resin printer for bio materials.

Oh, there is also a Markforged which is able to do fine prints, threads and lay down carbon fibre. I used this bad boy to print the MP-e 65mm aligner from Jason Cannings which really saved me pulling my hair out a lot. Jason also sells these for canon and yonguno twin flashes. Although I have the .stl files it was a lot easier to just buy them as there are extras in the kit that are not printed.

There was chat on another post a little while back about putting together a sticky of FAQ thread to post 3D printed parts and files. I am not sure what happened with it though.

Smokedaddy

Re: 3D printing - what can you do with it?

Post by Smokedaddy »

ChrisR wrote:I have some limited access to 3D printers at a "Maker lab" but I've not tried the process yet. I'd have to learn a CAD program first. I have some general questions:
Not that you asked but get ready for a nice learning curve CAD wise. At least there are a ton of free tutorial resources available nowadays. I ran a BBS back in the dial-up days (80's mid 90's) dedicated to AutoCAD and Raytracing. I've been a full-time AutoCAD guy since version 1.8. I'd probably give Fusion 360 a shot and read up on parametic design for Fusion.

I've 3D printed quite a few useful things that would be harder or more difficult to machine (for me anyway). I would love to have something like a SLA printer but they're way out of my league price wise and the resin is to expensive for 'me'.

Thread wise I've always used inserts and for my usage they worked out fine. You might want to check out this link. I think you'll find it interesting.

https://formlabs.com/blog/adding-screw- ... ted-parts/

-JW:

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

For me there was also a 'lot' of tinkering and screwing around with my printer. Some find that overwhelming, some don't. Then fiddling with the software is a interesting adventure too.

I should mention that I've designed quite a few cool things. My grandkids love all the stuff I've made for them. I've made some nice molds too and parts that are unobtainable. Depending on how busy you are, I'd say go for it. In another 10 years or so it's going to be amazing and getting involved with 3D will only benefit you. I do a lot of 3D scanning too.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

There was chat on another post a little while back about putting together a sticky of FAQ thread to post 3D printed parts and files. I am not sure what happened with it though.
What happened was backstage head-scratching about this, and another possibility of a change. We can move threads about, make then sticky etc, to some extent.
Regarding file storage, there are online resources available such as https://www.thingiverse.com/ . I don't know if there's any snag with that.
I coiuld host some space on Google Drive - I'm a teacher so it's free, but access rights aren't granular enough. Anyone allowed to upload, could also delete (afaik).

--

Good info so far. :D
What about the extension tube? Say 150mm long with incorporated Arca Rail. It would have to be quite thick section I imagine. Would PLA work for that?

Does anyone know if camera-fitting bayonet files are available? Mo(u)lded plastic parts obviously fit pretty well, as with lens and body caps, if done well.
From non-resin printers, I've only ever seen rough, ridged surfaces, but I don't klnow if the parameters in the printing were responsible.
Chris R

louisx

Post by louisx »

i use a (wanhao duplicator 4 ) the finish is not always very nice, but it work well for small parts.Image

Saul

Post by Saul »

perdu34 wrote:...There was chat on another post a little while back about putting together a sticky of FAQ thread to post 3D printed parts and files. I am not sure what happened with it though.
Post is opened
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 872#234872

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Moved to a FAQ thread of its own: http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=37666

If we keep general discussions in the main part of the forum we can link out to them from the FAQ header section, keeping the FAQ for resources, lists, references etc.
Chris R

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic