www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Moth larva hiding tube
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Moth larva hiding tube

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Technical and Studio Photography -- Macro and Close-up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BugEZ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Moth larva hiding tube Reply with quote

Coleophora moth larva roll tubes from leaf clippings as temporary lodgings. I am not sure if this one was occupied or abandoned. I watched it for several weeks after I discovered it on my crabapple tree. The stereo helps show the overall shape.

I used my scanner lens for this. Pentax K-01 mirrorless camera, Led lighting, 60 and 40 images stacked with a PMAX DMAP blend.

second image stereo by Keith Short, on Flickr

first stereo image by Keith Short, on Flickr
This iimage taken several weeks ago shows the snippet of leaf that formed the tube.

Wink
Beatsy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots and interesting. I've seen a few of those in the garden too. You caught me out with the stereos! Crosseyed, crosseyed, crossse... oops - last one not stereo. But I spent a few seconds trying to make it so Smile
Lou Jost

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. Do you use the pixel shift mode on the K1?
BugEZ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beatsy wrote
Quote:
oops - last one not stereo.

Yes a bit of confusion there. I have the same problem when I make PowerPoints collecting images of an individual bug.

Lou Jost wrote
Quote:
Do you use the pixel shift mode on the K1?

Big difference between Pentax "K1" which is the new full frame Pentax and the "K-01" which is an older camera (same vintage as Pentax K5) APS-C sensor camera. No pixel shift.

I don't need any more bits! the images process slowly enough with 16 Mb images (K-01). A 36Mb image (K1) would slow things down even more.

One last image of the larva tube before I put it in a specimen cup and see if a moth eventually emerges...

This one got stacked a bit deeper so the background is captured. 102 images. I love the resolution of the Minolta DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400 lens. I will look for a more interesting subject for my next posting.

third image stereo by Keith Short, on Flickr

Keith
Lou Jost

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason the "mirrorless" part didn't register in my brain when I read your first post. That should have been a clue that the K-01 and the K-1 are different.
rolsen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This last cross eye stereo pair is the first image ever that I have managed to "see" and this is really awesome pair! I have to keep trying with my eyes, they don't like it a bit and my head also aches a bit if I try too hard. Also I have to have well rested eyes to even try.
BugEZ

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rolsen wrote
Quote:
This last cross eye stereo pair is the first that I have managed to see...

There is great variability in our ability to perceive the 3D from stereo pairs. Luckily my brain and eyes “snap in” readily to cross-eye or wall eye presentations. On the down side I can’t judge the difficulty that others may have with a particular pair as they are all very functional for me.

I posted some images with borders of a nice long legged fly. You might want to see if the borders help.

They are linked here...

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=234249#234249

Keith
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Technical and Studio Photography -- Macro and Close-up All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: