Tiger Beetle (2)

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Yup, I'd say relay lenses are different - eg where you use a short FL wideangle and look at its aerial image with a relay lens.
if a "Nikon lens from an enlarger"was any use to me
Of the 50/2.8 lenses, the newer plastic "N" one is a little better than the older metal one.
The f/4 isn't great. Use it as a loupe! 75mm is less poor, but easily beatable. Quite variable between individual lenses. Way back I compared about 8 50/2.8s.
Chris R

mjkzz

Post by mjkzz »

Lou Jost wrote:Mike, the EL should be stopped down one or two stops to be really sharp, but it's hard to say whether the best place to do that is in the lens or behind it. When the tube lens is much longer than the front lens, then the front lens' aperture is often usable. When the two lenses are similar in focal length, the paper aperture is almost always best. This is an intermediate case, so an empirical test would be worthwhile.

Rik has pointed out elsewhere that the default should be to stop down a combination somewhere between the two lenses.

Theoretically the combination can be made telecentric with the right choice of aperture position.
Thanks Lou, I am still trying to cut an aperture for it as you mentioned in previous post, to be positioned in between.

Lou, Mike : I stopped it down to f/4, at f/2.8, I saw some CA on another subject, stopping down reduces it to almost nothing. Also, I used a segment of M42 tube (via a M42-to-M39 step down ring) as hood, else, for my light setup, the images are washed out.

mjkzz

Post by mjkzz »

ChrisR wrote:Yup, I'd say relay lenses are different - eg where you use a short FL wideangle and look at its aerial image with a relay lens.
if a "Nikon lens from an enlarger"was any use to me
Of the 50/2.8 lenses, the newer plastic "N" one is a little better than the older metal one.
The f/4 isn't great. Use it as a loupe! 75mm is less poor, but easily beatable. Quite variable between individual lenses. Way back I compared about 8 50/2.8s.
There is a Rayfact one, looks identical to mine (plastic version), do you know anything about it? It is about twice as expensive.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

No, sounds interesting though. Link? A lot of their products are for very specific uses.
Chris R

mjkzz

Post by mjkzz »

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Ah - see http://www.tochigi-nikon.co.jp/en/products/lens/il.htm

"... Interchangeable with EL-NIKKOR lenses (40mmF4N, 50mmF2.8N, 63mmF2.8N, 75mmF4N) whose production has been terminated by Nikon Corporation...."
Chris R

mjkzz

Post by mjkzz »

thanks Chris

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic