Experience with Nikon 20X CFI60 TU Epi ELWD

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

cjjthomp

Experience with Nikon 20X CFI60 TU Epi ELWD

Post by cjjthomp »

Hi,
First post - hope I'm doing this right:
Does anyone have any experience with the Nikon 20X CFI60 TU Epi ELWD objective? Specifically, I'd want to use it at 20X using a 70-200mm lens as a tube lens, and at 10X using the Canon 100mm macro (L-version).
Both these tube lenses work with the 10X/0.25 plan achromat on an APS-c sensor but I don't know enough about objective lens specs to tell if the 20X will also work.
And the thing is seriously expensive, so I'd also be interested in alternatives at 20X if there are any. I'm photographing plant seeds etc, using electronic flash so working distance is important.
Thanks in advance,

jeff thompson

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Jeff, welcome aboard! Your post looks good and it's in an appropriate forum, so yep I'm thinking you've done it right.

About the objectives...

I have no experience with the Nikon 20X CFI60 TU Epi ELWD.

However, as an alternative in the same price range, let me suggest the Mitutoyo M Plan Apo 20X NA 0.42, WD 20mm. The Mitty is a known excellent performer with very little CA and a very large image circle that can be used with short tube lenses and still maintain good corner quality. On APS-C, the sharpest 10X optics in my kit come from using the Mitty 20X on front of a Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM.

--Rik

cjjthomp

Post by cjjthomp »

Rik, thanks for the suggestion. I've owned quite a variety of Mitutoyo measuring instruments, but never a microscope lens. It came as quite a surprise to learn that they were so highly rated. I see that there's only about $100 difference in the price of the Mitutoyo vs the Nikon, so now I have to find a suitable occasion on which to give myself an expensive present.
And on an entirely different topic, thanks for your 2014 posting on Depth of Field and diffraction limit; it made sense of a very confusing subject.

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

cjjthomp wrote:...so now I have to find a suitable occasion on which to give myself an expensive present.
Surely a successful first post on this forum is occasion enough :D

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

cjjthomp wrote:And on an entirely different topic, thanks for your 2014 posting on Depth of Field and diffraction limit; it made sense of a very confusing subject.
Thank you for letting me know. I'm guessing that you mean http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=23751 .

That one follows an approach that I've taken several times, writing about things that I'm trying to make sense of myself.

At first I'm just writing for myself, in private. Then if the discussion ends up working for me, I post it for others. That's partly for review, partly so the material doesn't get lost, and partly in hopes that it helps somebody else too.

I'm glad it did!

--Rik

Pawel

Post by Pawel »

cjjthomp...
I have a comparison Nikon vs Mitutoyo 20x ;-) It's really hard to notice the differences on the APSC sensor. I did not test on the full frame. I have a new NIKON TU plan elwd for sale: see link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/282987568171?
1200usd;-) - NEW!

in edmumd optics cost ..1950usd ;-/

cjjthomp...I sent you PM

cjjthomp

Post by cjjthomp »

Thanks for that, Pawel. Just going by the price I thought they must be similar quality but it seems not many people have actually used the Nikon.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic