Full electronic shutter

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

mjkzz

Post by mjkzz »

mawyatt wrote:Lou,

Yes, Peter sells them. They also can control your various focus rails, since it has programmable motor and lead screw capability and doesn't require a computer/pad/smartphone to operate :D

http://www.mjkzz.com/product-page/stand ... ith-remote

The USB-C specification according to WiKi is a maximum of 5 volts for power. Since a typical LiOn cell is 3.7~4 volts, thus a simple USB-C non-switchmode regulator/charger could charge a single cell, but not a dual cell (like Nikon uses). A dual cell LiOn USB-C regulator/charger would require a more complex switchmode topology. My Nikon MH-25a charger is rated at 8.4 volts at 1.2 amps, this is for the Nikon EN-EL15 7 volt LiOn batteries.

Anyway, this is why I asked Peter about it.

Best,
Mike, there are specialized chips for charging Li-Ion batteries. I have used one such chip from Microchip, they have step up (some step down) circuit built-in and they have charging curve built-in so users do not have to worry about it.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

mjkzz wrote:
mawyatt wrote:Lou,

Yes, Peter sells them. They also can control your various focus rails, since it has programmable motor and lead screw capability and doesn't require a computer/pad/smartphone to operate :D

http://www.mjkzz.com/product-page/stand ... ith-remote

The USB-C specification according to WiKi is a maximum of 5 volts for power. Since a typical LiOn cell is 3.7~4 volts, thus a simple USB-C non-switchmode regulator/charger could charge a single cell, but not a dual cell (like Nikon uses). A dual cell LiOn USB-C regulator/charger would require a more complex switchmode topology. My Nikon MH-25a charger is rated at 8.4 volts at 1.2 amps, this is for the Nikon EN-EL15 7 volt LiOn batteries.

Anyway, this is why I asked Peter about it.

Best,
Mike, there are specialized chips for charging Li-Ion batteries. I have used one such chip from Microchip, they have step up (some step down) circuit built-in and they have charging curve built-in so users do not have to worry about it.
Peter,

If it's a step up converter chip then it must be a switchmode type of some sort, a continuous time regulator chip can only down convert. Switchmode converters can either step up or down as you mentioned. They also can produce considerable switchmode noise which can corrupt sensitive circuits unless extreme care is taken.

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

mjkzz

Post by mjkzz »

Mike,

OK, but I think these charging IC chips are mature enough, the issues you raised are taken care of. Some of the chips are intelligent enough, I suspect they have a micro processor inside.

Regards
Peter

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Peter,

I meant that the designer of the "USE" of these switchmode chips must be very careful with sensitive circuits, not the actual switchmode chip design. I'm sure these chips are well designed and thought out.

Long ago, we had a very complex sensitive chip that was used in part of a Motorola communications system, they were having "noise" problems and blamed our chip. A colleague went to investigate the problem and when he saw the O-scope traces, he immediately asked if they were using a Charge Pump (a switchmode type chip). They answered yes, he said that's the source of your noise problem, not our chip and then left!!

So the user of these switchmode chips must be careful with sensitive circuits, whereas linear type regulators produce much less noise and easier to apply. Our camera sensors have very low image noise levels, which implies sensitive circuits (amplifiers and ADC), so one must exercise extreme care when designing the camera with switchmode chips.

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

cmagno

Post by cmagno »

Amazing results. Congratulations!

Best regards,
Carlos Magno

mjkzz

Post by mjkzz »

cmagno wrote:Amazing results. Congratulations!

Best regards,
Carlos Magno
Thanks Carlos

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic