Stepper Motor Cables

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

mawyatt

Stepper Motor Cables

Post by mawyatt »

Here's a page from my notebook on wiring up "Jumper Cables" for various typical stepper motor (NEMA 17 dual winding 4 connection type) based focus rails. For example: This allows the Stackshot Controller to control a Wemacro rail, or MJKZZ rail, or modified THK KR20 rail. Or the Wemacro Controller to control a MJKZZ rail or modified THK KR20 rail.

You simply place the "Jumper Cable" between the Controller and focus rail stepper motor (NEMA 17 dual winding type). Connectors can be ordered from William at Wemacro, Peter at MJKZZ or Paul at Cognisys (Stackshot).

Edit: I've added an image of a Wemacro male to MJKZZ female (NEMA 17) motor (bottom), Stackshot male to MJKZZ female (NEMA 17) motor (top) and Wemacro female to Stackshot male (right).

Cheers,

Mike

Last edited by mawyatt on Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lonepal

Post by lonepal »

Thanks for useful information.
Regards.
Omer

MGG33

Post by MGG33 »

Would you be willing to make one of these cables and sell it? I have no experience with wiring but would like to connect my wemacro rail to a stackshot controller.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

You'll need to get the connectors from William at WeMacro and Paul at Cognisys (Stackshot), then any local electronic/computer repair shop should be able to make the cable for you with the information described above. I don't have any more of the connectors, they were used to make the cables shown.

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Useful info Mike.

I should add that I occasionally need to reverse the direction on a stepper, for instance if I flip the rail around (like I did with the modified WeMacro stand) or to ensure the "up" arrow on the keyboard makes a vertical stand go "up". To do this, the wire order is simply reversed. If the colors are Bl/G/R/Bk, re-ordering them Bk/R/G/Bl will turn the motor around. Of course it should only be reversed on one end...

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Ray,

I think you only need to reverse one set (2) of wires to either one of the stepper coils (dont think it matters which coil). I recall doing this long ago to change the rail direction, but can't remember the details.

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Useful Info :smt023
Chris R

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

mawyatt wrote:Ray,

I think you only need to reverse one set (2) of wires to either one of the stepper coils (dont think it matters which coil). I recall doing this long ago to change the rail direction, but can't remember the details.

Best,
I tried that on other's advice but it didn't work. Had to swap both the order of the individual wires AND the phases.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic