Fly and superglue. Oops!

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Beatsy

Fly and superglue. Oops!

Post by Beatsy »

I just *knew* that blob of superglue was too big and would wick around to the front. But I *hoped* it would be ok and dabbed it on anyway. Sigh! Hope is not a strategy...

Useable for closeups and a practice run though. Linoscan 7.1/92 again, with 100% crops. I didn't bother retouching as the fly is messed up but will for the next one.

Olympusman

Superglue

Post by Olympusman »

Geez, Beatsy, besides the outgassing of superglue, these are astounding images.
For those of you who are nonchalant about superglue, it outgasses very strongly and you don't want it to be used anywhere around optics. Superglues outgassing is employed widely in police fingerprint capture.

Mike
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

BugEZ

Post by BugEZ »

I have shifted from super glue to fingernail polish to glue specimens for photos. The outgassing of superglue can leave a fog on lenses.

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... light=glue

I move from the glue stage to the studio quite quickly. I am after fly eye colors that on dolichopodidae can quickly fade. If you have more time then perhaps it may not be an issue, but fogging an expensive objective’s front surface would be an awful shame.

Keith
Last edited by BugEZ on Sun May 27, 2018 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Thanks Mike. I do all my super-gluing on an old stereo, away from the rig and expensive optics. I also use tiny amounts (well, usually) and wait until it's dry before posing the specimen for imaging.

Great idea on the nail polish Keith! Don't know why I didn't think of that. I have a jar of matt black nail polish too (used for microscope slides) so will try that on the very next critter. Thanks.

BugEZ

Post by BugEZ »

Nail polish is less than ideal, at least the polish I have used. It sets unpredictably. After a bottle is old and a bit more viscous I find it works a bit better.

K

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic