Coming in to land

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Beatsy

Coming in to land

Post by Beatsy »

Fly at 2.2x in APS-C crop mode. Stack of 90 images taken with a Linoscan 1800 scanner lens (the 92mm f/7.1 one).

Roel Wijtmans

Post by Roel Wijtmans »

What an amazing photo! I really like the POV you choose here.

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Thanks Roel

Here's an illustration of what a difference a day makes (along with a background and lighting change).

The fly was left in the rig overnight, mounted sideways in "landscape orientation". Note how the foot pads have shriveled up and the legs have actually opened up a little (I expected them to contract). Just goes to show that if you're studio stacking dead specimens, you should do them as fresh from the freezer as possible.

Not sure I like this one as much as the first really. It had better contrast out of camera (lighting change reduced some veiling flare that was present in the first) but it doesn't look so good against the lighter background IMO. Or maybe it does? Dunno. Oh well, next one will be perfect - unless it isn't :)

Roel Wijtmans

Post by Roel Wijtmans »

I think I prefer the first one actually, the contrast with the dark background gives the photo more "pop", and as you mentioned, the feet look better there as well.

Olympusman

Let's get it over with

Post by Olympusman »

OK Beatsy - dangle this in front of a science fiction producer. Really like the one on the yellow field.

Mike
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Striking image(s). Also prefer the first. Do you know what the fly is?
Chris R

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

ChrisR wrote:Striking image(s). Also prefer the first. Do you know what the fly is?
Thanks all. Just a common Flesh Fly Chris (Sarcophaga carnaria) I think.

Rudi

Post by Rudi »

Like the first one best, like the 'glowing' feet. Though the eye detail seems better in the second pic, can be my 'older' eyes ??? :oops:
Always looking at the bright side of life,
Kr, Rudi

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic