Preventing sensor dust when using bellows

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Rudi

Post by Rudi »

lonepal wrote:Hi Rudi;

Is there any exposure change or IQ lost when you use clip-in filter?
Have you ever make a comparison with filter vs without filter?

Thanks.
Hi Omer,
I have never done any tests in astrophotography.
Will do some test in the near future as soon as everything is setup properly.
So I can't really comment on the pros/cons as off yet.
Always looking at the bright side of life,
Kr, Rudi

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

AlxndrBrg wrote:Belated update:

Have been using the camera for a couple of years now, for the first 3 years the rig was used in a horizontal setup, and recently in a vertical (for stability and also to reduce the chance of dust floating up to the sensor)

Considering how much I have used the camera, and how exposure heavy live view stacking is, I'm happy how it's been working. Of course I dont have a control to compare with, and I dont know how much the cameras own sensor cleaning helps either.

The dust shows up way more than usual in this picture, in shots with a black or close to white background the dust specks are not visible at all. They are also not showing up when there's detail for ZereneStacker to single out instead.

Maybe I should actually send in the house for some spring cleaning...

Edit: I tried to estimate the number of exposures, the lower bound would be 20k, but I wouldnt be surprised if its around 35k

/A
Hi AlxndrBrg,

Aside from the good advice I've seen here already mentioned in this thread, like turning off live-view when moving the bellows, I have not seen this mentioned, have you tried cleaning the sensor?

If I see some dust when reviewing an image in a stack, I pull off the body and take 3 minutes to clean the sensor.

Problem solved.

I've been cleaning sensors since 2001 and never had a single issue.The sensor has a cover glass so its like cleaning the front or rear of a lens. No difference.

Maybe I am missing something?

All the best,

Robert

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic