Chip Mishap

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

mawyatt

Chip Mishap

Post by mawyatt »

While I was fiddling with my horizontal system trying to get a tube lens that would allow the full chip to be viewed this happened!

I was trying to get a magnification with the Mitutoyo 5X down enough to show the entire chip image, and using the old Vivitar and Zeiss 135mm as tube lenses. Well it wasn't enough, see Steve's note.

https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... highlight=

I ended up sliding the KR20 focus rail with Mitutoyo 5X too far forward and hitting the chip after swapping tube lenses, fracturing it :oops: Result of not paying attention to details :roll:

This was my best chip of this type the other 2 have lots of damage (scratches) and contamination. I think the Mitutoyo survived sans a dink in the front flange, the glass "looks" OK as I can't see any scratches or chips. :?

This happened on Friday, yes Friday the 13th :shock:

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

... that would be a bummer.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

It's a good thing I never have any fragile or valuable subjects, or that'd be happening every other session.

I've built a fairly stable subject stage using PVC pipe, a ballhead, corner braces and a small carpenter's clip, but I have stuff fall off all of the time, either by itself, or from me fiddling with the equipment.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Claim on the house insurance :)
"You broke a what??"
Chris R

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Yeah, as the song by Cream, "Born Under a Bad Sign", mentioned. If it wasn't for bad luck, really bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all :?

Add Friday the 13th, and I'm thankful I'm not a chemist, I might have blown myself up :roll:

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

RobertOToole

Re: Chip Mishap

Post by RobertOToole »

mawyatt wrote:.... fracturing it :oops: Result of not paying attention to details :roll: ....
Sorry to hear that.

:D Thats an accomplishment on a horizontal rig!

Seems a lot more easier to do on a vertical setup.

I always wondered if that was possible, some wafers are so thin they seem like they would be a bit brittle.

Robert

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Sorry to hear about your mishap. But looking on the bright side, at least it fits the FoV now :twisted:

I'll get my coat...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic