Zeiss Axiostar

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

GaryB

Zeiss Axiostar

Post by GaryB »

Hey all.

I'm thinking of buying a used Axiostar stand with no head or objectives. Would I be correct in thinking that it's the Axiostar's head that contains the tube lens? If so, is there any reason I couldn't use my current Zeiss standard head and 160mm objectives with it? I'm assuming the fittings and objective threads are the same and that infinity optics only apply if you use the original Axiostar head.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Yes, the tube lens is in the lower part of the head, the objective mount is RMS but the head dovetail mount is wider than the Standard, also the distance from the objective to the head mount could be different altering the mechanical tube length, so in principle it isn't compatible.
Pau

GaryB

Post by GaryB »

Thanks for that, Pau.

Looking at pictures, it appears that the nose angle and distance from the front lip to head mount position look very similar to the standard, so I think I might get it anyway and see if I can modify things to work. My old standard was a big mess when I got it (very cheap) and the problems are driving me nutty. It would cost a lot more to fix or replace it than modify to a better stand, and If it doesn't work I may just go infinity.

Cheers :D

GaryB

Post by GaryB »

Well I ordered it, it was just too good a deal to pass up.

If any Axiostar users know the diameter and depth of the head dovetail, would you mind posting and letting me know so I can make an adapter for my standard head.

I figure that with an adapter, all that mattered then would be the mechanical length difference between A and B below for 160mm finite. I can alter that easily enough at the eyetube ends to compensate for any difference measured at the turret/mount.

Thanks
G

GaryB

Post by GaryB »

The Axiostar arrived at last and it all went together without a hitch in about two minutes. I had a chat on the German forums and one of the guys said the head fitting is the same and so is the sizing for 160mm objectives. I tested it out and it's all working exactly as he said.

The stand is in almost new condition. I couldn't see any scuffs, wear or even dust on it. Everything is smooth as butter, and more importantly, nothing is broken or sloppy, unlike the Standard I bought. The only things brought over were the head, eyepieces and objectives. It came with the stage and condenser and it's now a fully functional AxioStandard © me 2018 :wink:

The wee beastie in all it's splendor!

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Glad it worked well, sorry, I was convinced about the dovetail incompatibility, in fact I think that the locking mechanism is different.

The Standard uses the same dovetail for rear lamphouses and binocular heads, the rear lamp mounts in Axio series is different. But Axio is a name used for very different models over the years so maybe there are different mounts. Yours seems very close to the last Standard series, the Standard 20.
Pau

GaryB

Post by GaryB »

No need to apologize, Pau.
You were trying to help and steer me away from a potentially dumb decision :D

It was a gamble because apparently there might be as many as 3 different dovetails in the Axio line and no-one seems to know for sure which has what! I was pretty sure it wouldn't fit without surgery because looking at the thing it's nothing even remotely like the standard, so it's not surprising to assume it wouldn't fit. The locking mechanism is different. The standard has the spring screw, the Axio has a spring plate and a socket head plain screw.

One oddity on mine is the condenser centering screws are socket heads and can only be adjusted with an Allen key, I suppose that's to prevent people removing the condenser because you can't take it off without loosening those two screws first.

Anyway, thankfully the gamble paid off. Now I have to do a LED conversion, replace the electrical guts with a buckpuck and small 12v psu and raise the stage as soon as I can figure where they've hidden the third screw!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic