Flashpoint R2 Issues

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Deanimator

Flashpoint R2 Issues

Post by Deanimator »

I just received a Flashpoint R2 trigger/receiver set yesterday which I plan to use with both my Sigma EF500 DG Super TTL flash to replace the TTL cable on my field macro rig, and as a trigger for a couple of Flashpoint strobes for indoor macro when they come off of back order.

I cannot make the flash work from the receiver, not even with the test button on the receiver. The flash works, both from its own test button and from the camera (Canon T4i) with the cable.

When the flash is on, the display on the receiver blinks on and off.

I applied the latest firmware to the receiver with no change.

Any suggestions?

naturepics43

Post by naturepics43 »

I got this "work-around" from Flash Point tec support if your flash unit is too close to the trigger & camera (I had the same problem). Turn everything OFF, camera, trigger & flash units. Then use this sequence. Turn on the flash unit first. Now, while holding down the flash test button on the R-2, turn it on. The red "Status" light should flash twice, then release the button. Now turn on the camera. Set the power level on the R-2 & press the shutter release on the camera. The flash should fire. Hope this works for you.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

naturepics43 wrote:I got this "work-around" from Flash Point tec support if your flash unit is too close to the trigger & camera (I had the same problem). Turn everything OFF, camera, trigger & flash units. Then use this sequence. Turn on the flash unit first. Now, while holding down the flash test button on the R-2, turn it on. The red "Status" light should flash twice, then release the button. Now turn on the camera. Set the power level on the R-2 & press the shutter release on the camera. The flash should fire. Hope this works for you.
No luck. The flash won't even fire from the test button on the receiver.

The problem seems to be between the flash and the reciever on which it's mounted.

I'm sure that the blinking display is a clue of some sort. I just haven't been able to find any reference to it, under Flashpoint or Godox.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

This may be related to an issue with the R2 that when too close the R2 receiver saturates (overloads). The sequence provided by 43 might be to reduce the R2 transmitter power level and thus prevent the receiver saturation. In this mode the range will of course be reduced.

Anyway, this is what I recall form some time ago, Google should provide more info.

Best,

Mike
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

mawyatt wrote:This may be related to an issue with the R2 that when too close the R2 receiver saturates (overloads). The sequence provided by 43 might be to reduce the R2 transmitter power level and thus prevent the receiver saturation. In this mode the range will of course be reduced.

Anyway, this is what I recall form some time ago, Google should provide more info.

Best,

Mike
But that should have no effect on firing the flash using the test button when it's physically attached to the receiver.

Approaching this from a different angle, it appears that there may be compatibility issues between the flash and later cameras/receivers which use later flavors of ETTL. Unfortunately, Sigma no longer supports that flash.

I may have to get a new flash.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Deanimator wrote:
mawyatt wrote:This may be related to an issue with the R2 that when too close the R2 receiver saturates (overloads). The sequence provided by 43 might be to reduce the R2 transmitter power level and thus prevent the receiver saturation. In this mode the range will of course be reduced.

Best,

Mike
But that should have no effect on firing the flash using the test button when it's physically attached to the receiver.

Approaching this from a different angle, it appears that there may be compatibility issues between the flash and later cameras/receivers which use later flavors of ETTL. Unfortunately, Sigma no longer supports that flash.

I may have to get a new flash.
If it's a direct connection then sure the RF issue wouldn't be the source of the problem. Best to just get a new speedlight like any of the Adorama R2 compatible lights mentioned on the other related thread, these do work with the R2 Compatible Studio Strobes.

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

mawyatt wrote:If it's a direct connection then sure the RF issue wouldn't be the source of the problem. Best to just get a new speedlight like any of the Adorama R2 compatible lights mentioned on the other related thread, these do work with the R2 Compatible Studio Strobes.

Best,
I ordered the $110 battery unit last night.

Shame to have to ditch a working flash. I'll keep it as a backup.

Thanks for your help.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

naturepics43 wrote:I got this "work-around" from Flash Point tec support if your flash unit is too close to the trigger & camera (I had the same problem). Turn everything OFF, camera, trigger & flash units. Then use this sequence. Turn on the flash unit first. Now, while holding down the flash test button on the R-2, turn it on. The red "Status" light should flash twice, then release the button. Now turn on the camera. Set the power level on the R-2 & press the shutter release on the camera. The flash should fire. Hope this works for you.
I ended up buying the Flashpoint R2 Zoom TTL flash, since my Sigma TTL flash is unsupported.

Have indeed experienced this problem to a minor extent with this flash. I will try the above.

Thanks.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

I ran into the "too close" problem described above this morning. The solution worked like a charm.

Thanks.

naturepics43

Post by naturepics43 »

Glad it's working for you. Since I started using the "work-around", I've been a happy camper. FlashPoint units are a great product for the price.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

naturepics43 wrote:Glad it's working for you. Since I started using the "work-around", I've been a happy camper. FlashPoint units are a great product for the price.
Do you know if it's possible to use the flash in Live View on a Canon T4i, and if so, how?

I was able to use the Sigma on a TTL cable in Live View.

naturepics43

Post by naturepics43 »

Sorry, I don't know about Canon. I'm a Nikon user. My D-7000 & D 7100 both fire the flash when in live view but I'm not tethered to a computer, only the WeMacro controller. I only use live view to set the start & stop points. When I forget to turn off live view before hitting the run button, the mirror drops to shut off live view before doing the mirror up command, after 4 seconds the image is captured, the mirror drops then raises again to turn live view back on. Two extra mirror movements to possibly cause extra vibration so I never use ilive view while runnimg a stack. Canon camera's may work differently.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

naturepics43 wrote:Sorry, I don't know about Canon. I'm a Nikon user. My D-7000 & D 7100 both fire the flash when in live view but I'm not tethered to a computer, only the WeMacro controller. I only use live view to set the start & stop points. When I forget to turn off live view before hitting the run button, the mirror drops to shut off live view before doing the mirror up command, after 4 seconds the image is captured, the mirror drops then raises again to turn live view back on. Two extra mirror movements to possibly cause extra vibration so I never use ilive view while runnimg a stack. Canon camera's may work differently.
I'm only interested in flash for live view for outdoor macro, for me 99% of which is single images of spiders outside at night.

I also use live view for setting up stacks, but not capturing the images.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic