Oblique View

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

sushidelic

Oblique View

Post by sushidelic »

Auliscus Oamaruensis

Mitty 50x + 1x Jansjö

Best regards,
Michael

JH

Post by JH »

:shock: I like the 3D perspective!
Best regards Jörgen
Jörgen Hellberg, my webbsite www.hellberg.photo

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

Very nice? Would you mind telling how that was done? I do have one diatom that is mounted similar to your picture but of course nowhere near the quality of your posting.

You should make a stereo pair if possible.

-JW:

sushidelic

Post by sushidelic »

Hello and thanks for your answers.

The picture was made with a Nikon MM60 Measurescope, a little bit taylored for my purpose. Placed on the floor for safety, the thing is a beast at roughly 80 kg that would most likely break my table.

Sorry for the stage and other mess, the whole scope is still a building site.

The diatom is lying loosely on a slide, that is tilted with a ball head specimen stage.

Of course this is a 10x Mitty, not the 50x. one single Jansjö through a paper diffusor, that's it.

I'll try to make a stereo, but it takes considerably more time to do than a single view, so I have to try to find some time for it.

Best regards,
Michael

Saul

Post by Saul »

Very nice setup, what is that black "thing" with the stepper motor on the focus ? Gearbox ?
Saul
μ-stuff

sushidelic

Post by sushidelic »

The MM60 has a triaxial focus. The stepper sits inside a 3D printed enclosure, that connects to the "middle" focus (the coarse focus is achieved by rotating the big lever). The shaft of the stepper is connected to the fine focus. Very minimal but works perfectly.

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

Like I said beautiful image and thanks for taking the time to post the additional images of the actual setup you used.
Last edited by Smokedaddy on Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Ooh, never seen an MM60, it looks very good.

Is the motor "fixed" on a coarse(r) focus while turning a fine(r) focus knob?

I find it odd that such a distorted-looking organism has such a round outline. :-k
Chris R

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I'll try to make a stereo, but it takes considerably more time to do than a single view, so I have to try to find some time for it.
Looking at your main image -- which is very nice! -- I'm suspecting that you spent quite a bit of time in tuning parameters and/or manual retouching.

The image is great, but as you say, doing a similar version in stereo could take a lot longer.

On the other hand, one way to save a lot of time with stereo is to just skip retouching altogether -- just run PMax and accept that there will be a lot of artifacts. Often artifacts from PMax, even if easily visible, will not interfere with understanding the 3-D shape. Then the combination of the single clean image and the stereo-with-artifacts image gives, well, certainly not the best of both worlds, but enough good to be very helpful.

--Rik

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

Thanks
Last edited by Smokedaddy on Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jacek

Post by Jacek »

Good job, Super photo !

sushidelic

Post by sushidelic »

Thanks for your replies!
ChrisR wrote:Is the motor "fixed" on a coarse(r) focus while turning a fine(r) focus knob?
Exactly
rjlittlefield wrote:just run PMax and accept that there will be a lot of artifacts. Often artifacts from PMax, even if easily visible, will not interfere with understanding the 3-D shape.
True, and considering that I will need to scale the stereo down to match de forum's rules, I think a straight PMax with little retouching will work fine. I already processed a stereo pair inside Zerene, and it looked quite convincing. I hope I'll finish it today.

@James: I had a glimpse at your Measurescope before you edited the post, really a nice beast! No need to delete the image, at least I didn't mind :).

Best regards,
Michael

sushidelic

Post by sushidelic »

Quick stereo:

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

Sweet, thanks for making the stereo.

Olympusman

Diatom

Post by Olympusman »

Ridicuously fabulous.