Stack

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

RobertoM

Stack

Post by RobertoM »

Do someone explain me or can I found some informations about the stacking technique?
Many times I read some post with photo and they speak about this...
Maybe I understand, I must shot a lot of photo with different little distance, it's true?
Sorry for my english...
RobertoM

puzzledpaul

Post by puzzledpaul »

The 'Brian's Tutorial' thread, 6 or 7 posts below this one, same forum, refers to one source of info about this subject :)

pp

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: Stack

Post by rjlittlefield »

RobertoM wrote:Maybe I understand, I must shot a lot of photo with different little distance, it's true?
Correct. See An Introduction to Extended Depth of Field Digital Photography to start.

The number of photos can be as small as two or three, or as big as 100 or more.

It depends on how small the subject is, and what you're trying to accomplish: how much depth, how much resolution.

When you have more questions, just ask. We're here to help. :D (And your English is fine! :wink:)

--Rik

RobertoM

Post by RobertoM »

Thanks, thanks, thanks.
Only a little question...
I use a Manfrotto tripod with a Manfrotto micrometric slide, but when I try to move the camera, it's impossible move for a little little movements, because all aren't stable...
Maybe I must use some more heavy and strong...
What do you use?
Thanks in advance.
RobertoM

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

For mechanical positioning, here are some setups that I have used:I think you wrote in another post that you have an MP-E 65?

In that case I suggest to make everything as stable as possible, and focus by turning the ring on the lens.

I believe that's the way that Charles Krebs did these horseflies.

--Rik

RobertoM

Post by RobertoM »

Thanks a lot, Rik
I think I must learn a lot of things...
I see the setup for macro and that is more more more stable to my setup.
I think the my problem is that I use the same setup in my house and when I go out....
Out of my home is very difficult use a stable setup look like that of the links, but I can realize a new setup for my house.
Thanks, and when I see the photos and the setup of the other people of this forum, is an incentive for learn and study.
P.S.
Maybe a good course of English language...

Graham Stabler

Post by Graham Stabler »

Depending on the subject you may find it easier to move the subject instead of the camera. The subject is likely to be more light and compact. Cameras especially with macro lenses can be on the long and heavy side.

The problem with trying to adjust a tripod is that when you turn your adjustment screw or rack, as well as rotate it you are bound to apply other forces that may move the camera. One way around this might be to motorise the focus, this could just be a DC motor with a high ratio gear box to slowly turn the knob. The important thing is that it must be attached to the assembly so it cannot apply forces than might wreck your position.

Just thinking out loud.

Graham

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

You say when you go out of the house Roberto? I presume you mean you are photographing live insects then? For the very high power stacks I think most of the insects photographed shown on this forum are dead and photographed indoors, because they would not stay still enough for 30-40 images. I think Brian (LordV) does do stacks of live insects at lower magnifications and fewer images though?

DaveW

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

RobertoM wrote: Out of my home is very difficult use a stable setup look like that of the links, but I can realize a new setup for my house.
Here is the link that Charlie Krebs posted, showing a photo of the setup that he used for the horseflies, on a field trip:
http://krebsmicro.com/forumpix/0099sm.jpg

Very briefly, it is a rail that mounts to the camera and also holds the subject. If anything moves, the camera and subject move together.

Charlie talks about how he used it, in about the 12th posting of the horsefly eyes topic.

--Rik

PS. A crude version of this same type device was published in Popular Photography about 40 years ago! Of course there was no focus stacking then... :D

RobertoM

Post by RobertoM »

Yes Dawe when I talk to go out of the house I mean photographing live insects.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic