Yashica Tomioka Surplus Shed 32mm $6 lens

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

RobertOToole

Yashica Tomioka Surplus Shed 32mm $6 lens

Post by RobertOToole »

Found a interesting lens browsing the Surplus shed site last month, made by Tomioka and costing a whopping $6 plus shipping, I took a chance and ordered a couple.

Sharp. Covers APS-C. Field is pretty flat. Lens is coated. More info on my site, see the link and the Surplus Shed link at the bottom.

Its sharp, at 3X or so its sharper than most enlarging lenses. File looks great at a larger size.

3X, Sony A6300, Godox Flash, Single image, unsharpened Jpg.

Without any mounting threads its not the easiest lens to install but I got lucky, the lens slips into a Raynox 37mm to 34mm step-down adapter, also about $6 online.

You can find 100% crops and more info on my site:

https://www.closeuphotography.com/yashi ... 32mm-lens/

This is the link to Surplus Shed.

https://www.surplusshed.com/pages/item/L13698.html

Any questions or comments are welcome.

Robert

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

A while back I bought a bunch of these when SS had a 50% off sale. I bought them for use as ~9x magnifiers, but their aperture is a bit small so not so great FOV. Still are decent magnfiers though. As taking lenses, they are not easy to adapt and use but do give a good, flat image at 3-5x. I tried pushing them down to 2x but the field flatness and corner IQ suffer.

BTW, I do think these are made by Tomioka, but probably under the Kyocera umbrella. Tomioka made lenses for Yashica, and were owned by them until Kyocera bought Yashica, but an industrial lens such as this would not have been branded Yashica.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

ray_parkhurst wrote:A while back I bought a bunch of these when SS had a 50% off sale. I bought them for use as ~9x magnifiers, but their aperture is a bit small so not so great FOV. Still are decent magnfiers though. As taking lenses, they are not easy to adapt and use but do give a good, flat image at 3-5x. I tried pushing them down to 2x but the field flatness and corner IQ suffer.

BTW, I do think these are made by Tomioka, but probably under the Kyocera umbrella. Tomioka made lenses for Yashica, and were owned by them until Kyocera bought Yashica, but an industrial lens such as this would not have been branded Yashica.
The front of the lens actually says "Yashinon" and the speed is f/1.7, but the lettering is painted over. So they are made in the Tomioka factory, which is a big plus!

I got lucky with a Raynox 37>34 adapter Ray, the lens friction fit just tight enough where it won't slip out.

BTW, I opened up one of these and the waterhouse stop is part of the barrel. I was planning on opening one up to f/2 but it didn't work, unless i decide to drill the stop.

Robert

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

This is a link to a 1500 px version of the wafer image with the Surplus Shed / Yashica 32mm. FYI the file at 1500px unsharpened.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... rmat=1500w

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Thanks Robert, I just bought 2. How do you ever find anything on that site?

I did accidentally find something called a Kodak Imagelink scanner Camera Lens Assembly which sounds intriguing....

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Lou Jost wrote:Thanks Robert, I just bought 2. How do you ever find anything on that site?

I did accidentally find something called a Kodak Imagelink scanner Camera Lens Assembly which sounds intriguing....
Hi Lou,

Email me for more on that Kodak lens, I have one sitting in my office. It's huge, heavy as a brick and no threads!

Robert

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

RobertOToole wrote:
The front of the lens actually says "Yashinon" and the speed is f/1.7, but the lettering is painted over. So they are made in the Tomioka factory, which is a big plus!

I got lucky with a Raynox 37>34 adapter Ray, the lens friction fit just tight enough where it won't slip out.

BTW, I opened up one of these and the waterhouse stop is part of the barrel. I was planning on opening one up to f/2 but it didn't work, unless i decide to drill the stop.

Robert
Hah! They used very heavy black paint to paint over the lettering, but if you know it's there and shine the light on it just right you can see it.

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

Sold out even though I ordered very early on 24 December.

:x

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Dolmadis, if you really want one I can sell you one of mine at cost. I have a friend traveling from Ecuador to the UK in March who could carry it there.

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

Hi Lou

Yes please. It fits into my usage needs very well indeed.

Happy to reimburse cost plus disbursements.

Let me know more details later.

BR

John

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I won't have it in my hands until I go to the US in mid February. I could send it from the US at that time, or bring it back to Ecuador with me and ask my friend to to mail it when he gets back to the UK after visiting me in March, whichever works best for you.

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

Hi Lou

Thank you for being so thoughtful.

I am happy to wait until your friend is in the UK to mail it.

We can then find a way to settle the cost and disbursements.

I can PM my address etc., to you when convenient.

Thanks

John

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Well darn it all, I just got this message from Surplus Shed about the two $6 lenses I ordered:

Dear Louis Jost,

Virginville Lens Co, DBA Surplus Shed just sent you a partial refund of $12.00 USD for your purchase.

If you have any questions about this refund, please contact Virginville Lens Co, DBA Surplus Shed.

The refund will go to your PayPal account. Be sure to log in and claim it.

To see all the transaction details, please log in to your PayPal account. It may take a few moments for this transaction to appear in your account.
Merchant information
Virginville Lens Co, DBA Surplus Shed
surplushed@aol.com
http://www.surplusshed.com
610-926-9226
Notes from merchant
Sorry Louis but these sold out just before we received your order. We searched our warehouse for more but none found.

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

That is the message I got !!

I am sorry that you got unlucky too.

So who got them on here?

BR

John

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

Just put a WTB on Equipment Exchange if anyone has a spare for Lou and me.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic