Amscope 4x IQ?

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

tevans9129,

Sorry to be so blunt. I also think you need more even diffusion. With that perfected, most of your concerns may be solved.

If you look into the spider's eye ball, you can see that there was strong light from 3 o'clock position, some weaker light from about 9 o'clock position and not much light from anywhere else.

Maybe try a DIY diffusion tent/cone, say made with layers of Vellum paper, that VERY CLOSELY matches the size of your subject. And provide more fill light. This let's light source appear very close to your subject.

If you diffusion tent is much bigger, then your light source will appear much smaller and further away, from the subject's point of view. That means harder light and more reflection.

I remember seeing your macro rig and its diffusion tent appears slightly too big for small insects.
Selling my Canon FD 200mm F/2.8 lens

tevans9129

Post by tevans9129 »

rjlittlefield wrote:Here is my version of the rework.

Yep, the fly looks good.

--Rik
Thanks for all the help Rik, subject condition plus the lighting on the spider rather than the Amscope. That makes me feel better.

Yawns

Post by Yawns »

I know nothing of theory, but I experiemnt a lot and take conclusions for observation

It helped me a lot to understand what's going on with light when I read these 2 articles:
- Apparent size of light
http://strobist.blogspot.pt/2007/07/lig ... light.html
and
- Specular highlight control
http://strobist.blogspot.pt/2007/07/lig ... light.html

It works for me (maybe for you don't) .. it's just my experience.
1. Put the light source as close as possible to the subject .
2. Make the last piece of the diffusion system as small as possible and very close to the insect.

the more the light is away .. the more hotspots you get

the more the difuser surface is away from the insect .. the worse is the distribution

the bigger is the diffuser (more away from the subject) the more edgy are the transitions from light to shade

everything well packed and tight works fine for me ...

YAWNS _ (Y)et (A)nother (W)onderful (N)ewbie (S)hooting

tevans9129

Post by tevans9129 »

Yawns, thanks much for the images, links and information, very informative.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic