www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - ID polarizing condenser
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
ID polarizing condenser

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nanometer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: ID polarizing condenser Reply with quote

I've had this condenser for a long time, but never took a good look at it until recently. My guess is a nicol prism polarizer due to the squarish prism inside and the fact that it modulates my computer screen. It has an oil cap. Is this an old Leitz condenser? Both irises work fine.

Thanks for any info.

Steve
Choronzon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess Reichert with a Leitz dovetail adapter, it only because I'm unfamiliar with the Leitz sleeve Pol condensers
Pau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems an old Leitz condenser later adapted for more recent microscopes like the Orthoplan, note the brass sliding dovetail looking very different of the other parts.
You can test if it's a polarizing prism crossing it against another polarizer (or looking through it to a phone or computer screen if you don't have a polarizer)
nanometer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Still a question about who made the thing. Being familiar with Leitz, it seems odd they would have made something without putting their name on it.

Yes, it is a Leitz dovetail and fits on my Diavert condenser fork.

I guess the next step is to give it try. I'm thinking paramecia between crossed polarizers Smile

Not sure why this would be better than simply sticking a polarizer over my Heine--which is what I normally do.
Pau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Not sure why this would be better than simply sticking a polarizer over my Heine--which is what I normally do.

In most cases is better to place the polarizer under the condenser (except in the case when the condenser does alter the polarization state of the light)
stefan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nanometer wrote:
Thanks guys. Still a question about who made the thing. Being familiar with Leitz, it seems odd they would have made something without putting their name on it.

If one has access to a lathe and some standard cutting tools, this kind of adapter is not hard to make. I had one made. I made a drawing and a more experienced friend made the bulk body with a standard lathe. Some additional work with a tiny saw and it was done. I did not do the dovetail but an adapter to use Leitz sleeve type condensers on another brand. Mine is aluminum but brass is also soft and easy to work on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: