www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Tube lens for Mitty & Nikon Plan Apo
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Tube lens for Mitty & Nikon Plan Apo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nielsgeode

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:16 am    Post subject: Tube lens for Mitty & Nikon Plan Apo Reply with quote

Recently I heard rumors that the Nikon 200mm f/4 AI-s would be a (slightly) better tube lens than the well known Raynox DCR-250.

Does anyone has experience with this Nikon lens and what are your findings?
mawyatt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lou did a test some time ago and found the Nikon 200mm f4 "Q" lens to be slightly better than the Raynox 150. The Raynox 250 is 125mm not 200mm (the 150 is actually 208.3mm). These old Nikons are available on eBay for less than $60 US.

I have 2 of the "Q" versions as well as both the Raynoxs and prefer the Nikon simply because it's easier to get setup without having to worry about the tubes. If you use a vertical l setup beware of lens creep.

Best,

Mike
nielsgeode

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mawyatt wrote:
Lou did a test some time ago and found the Nikon 200mm f4 "Q" lens to be slightly better than the Raynox 150. The Raynox 250 is 125mm not 200mm (the 150 is actually 208.3mm). These old Nikons are available on eBay for less than $60 US.

What is "Q"? Is it the same optical formula as the 200mm f4 Ai? I know that the Ai and Ai-S versions are optically identical, but not sure about the "Q" version. I have seen that a ring collar is available for the Ai and Ai-S verisons. Is there one for the "Q" version as well?
mawyatt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think the "Q" version is the one that requires a modification to the base tab to fit onto a modern Nikon F Mount. Here's the mod I did. I believe it's the 4 element optical formula, while the later version use 5 elements. Google it.

Remember that a good lens in normal use doesn't necessarily translate to a good lens for tube use, case in point the Rokinon/Samyang 135mm F2. This is a stellar lens in performance. Rivaling Zeiss and the new Sigma Art 135mm, but a poor tube lens!
ChrisR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niels have you seen the concurrent discussion here : Q means 4 elements as in Quattro or equivalent from whichever language the Japanese thought was cool. P =5, H = 6 etc.

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=224098#224098
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: