ID polarizing condenser

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

nanometer

ID polarizing condenser

Post by nanometer »

I've had this condenser for a long time, but never took a good look at it until recently. My guess is a nicol prism polarizer due to the squarish prism inside and the fact that it modulates my computer screen. It has an oil cap. Is this an old Leitz condenser? Both irises work fine.

Thanks for any info.

Steve

Choronzon

Post by Choronzon »

I would guess Reichert with a Leitz dovetail adapter, it only because I'm unfamiliar with the Leitz sleeve Pol condensers
I am not young enough to know everything.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

It seems an old Leitz condenser later adapted for more recent microscopes like the Orthoplan, note the brass sliding dovetail looking very different of the other parts.
You can test if it's a polarizing prism crossing it against another polarizer (or looking through it to a phone or computer screen if you don't have a polarizer)
Pau

nanometer

Post by nanometer »

Thanks guys. Still a question about who made the thing. Being familiar with Leitz, it seems odd they would have made something without putting their name on it.

Yes, it is a Leitz dovetail and fits on my Diavert condenser fork.

I guess the next step is to give it try. I'm thinking paramecia between crossed polarizers :)

Not sure why this would be better than simply sticking a polarizer over my Heine--which is what I normally do.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Not sure why this would be better than simply sticking a polarizer over my Heine--which is what I normally do.
In most cases is better to place the polarizer under the condenser (except in the case when the condenser does alter the polarization state of the light)
Pau

stefan

Post by stefan »

nanometer wrote:Thanks guys. Still a question about who made the thing. Being familiar with Leitz, it seems odd they would have made something without putting their name on it.
If one has access to a lathe and some standard cutting tools, this kind of adapter is not hard to make. I had one made. I made a drawing and a more experienced friend made the bulk body with a standard lathe. Some additional work with a tiny saw and it was done. I did not do the dovetail but an adapter to use Leitz sleeve type condensers on another brand. Mine is aluminum but brass is also soft and easy to work on.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic