Lighting for macro photography of fern gametophytes

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

jsp

Post by jsp »

Thanks Pau, yes I see what you mean now. I'm getting a bit addled.

It seems as though to have mirror lock-up I need to switch to electronic shutter release instead of infra red remote control.

Then I could turn off live view, trigger once to lift the mirror, trigger again to fire the shutter and the flash, and then pause while the focus rail moves.

The thing I don't get though is why all this matters if I'm taking photos on 1/160th of a second, and if ChrisR thinks I could be working on a continously moving rail. Is my 1/160th second not getting rid of all the vibration?

Thanks for all this discussion. I can hardly keep up myself, so I'm really grateful that you're taking the time, when I'm sure you also have your own stuff to do.

jsp

Post by jsp »

Hi ChrisR, Yes I have that Canon specific plug at the camera end, but it's a 2.5mm audio plug at the other end.

I can put it through a converter to a 3.5mm male audio plug and then plug that into a standard arduino board that will wire nicely into my arduino sockets. That's what I'm hoping anyway.

It means my nice shutter release gizmo will still work if I need it.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Ah - confusion arises because many Canon models use that stereo 2.5mm jack, camera end.
Chris R

jsp

Post by jsp »

Thanks, yes that's how I figured out what it was. Apparently the single digit canons have the fancy plug and the other ones have a 2.5mm jack.

jsp

Post by jsp »

BTW the grant people have dared me to do videos on youtube to show all this stuff that you have so kindly taught me, and also how to build my setup. I'm thinking probably no one will watch them expect for the people who can see all the things that I say that are wrong. (Eeep!)

This is my plan for the videos:

1. Principles of focus stacking. Alternating movement and photos, and stacking process.
2. The mechanical part of my setup with an ixus camera on top.
3. The DSLR + objective version of my setup
4. the automation part with the arduino
5. perhaps a video of a microscope with a camera mounted on top doing the same.

All that, and the fun of my Scottish accent.

jsp

Post by jsp »

Hello :-)

I just got a proper quote from Mitutoyo like this:

M Plan APO 5X 378-802-6 £586.00
M Plan APO 20X 378-804-3 £1330.00
M Plan APO 50X 378-805-3 £1790.00

The total with 10% educational discount and 20% VAT is £4002.48.

Do you think I've got the right lenses now? I have £4000 grant so that fits very nicely.

Thanks!

enricosavazzi

Post by enricosavazzi »

jsp wrote: M Plan APO 5X 378-802-6 £586.00
M Plan APO 20X 378-804-3 £1330.00
M Plan APO 50X 378-805-3 £1790.00
The Mitutoyo part numbers check out. I don't see anything amiss.
--ES

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

The part numbers look correct to me.
Chris R

jsp

Post by jsp »

Phew! Thanks for that. :-)

jsp

Post by jsp »

Hello!

As part of my project I've been challenged to try to start a Twitter hashtag for posting photos of teeny tiny plant parts taken with microscope objectives.

I was thinking about #MicroPlants or something like that and I wondered if you would have any thoughts on it?

I figure the people on the forum are mostly likely to be the ones who might use it so I should chose one that everyone likes. :-)

Thanks!

jsp

Post by jsp »

Hello :-)

I'm making my videos about how to build my focus stacking system. :-)

I've been asked to put the logo of the funding bodies and universities on the finishing slide, and I wondered if you would like to have a logo from this forum and website on it since this is where I learned how to do it all? I thought it would be lovely to fly the flag a bit. :-)

This is my little youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3X3V0 ... subscriber

The video about automation is mostly done and the other one is just a first draft with no words added yet.

Thanks!

Jen

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

We don't really have a logo, but you could grab an image like this from your own browser's screen, reduced to whatever resolution it takes to look good in the video:

Or just credit "http://photomacrography.net" in text.

--Rik

jsp

Post by jsp »

Brilliant, I'll do that. Thanks. :-)

jsp

Post by jsp »

Does this seem okay? I made it nice and big so people can read the text. I mean the photomacrography.net part relative to the other parts.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Looks OK to me.

If I were doing it myself, I would probably play around with inverting to be dark lettering on a white background.

But I also expect that would be a very frustrating and time-consuming effort, with uncertain gain in both visual appearance and (mis)match against what somebody would see on the site.

So my advice is to stop at the current point, and not let better be the enemy of good.

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic