Mitutoyo 10x 0.28 - shipping/handling question

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

DavidG1980

Mitutoyo 10x 0.28 - shipping/handling question

Post by DavidG1980 »

Hi guys,
I purchased a mitty on ebay, supposed to be in pristine condition. The objective was removed from a system and the owner does not have the capsule at hand.
I need to get back to him regarding the shipping, i am affraid something could happen during shipping.
What to do ? i can't find a capsule anywhere but ebay and shipping from China could take a while.
Is it safe enough to ship it wrapped in a bubble wrap and lens cloth to protect the optics?

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

David,

Capsule or no is not an issue. The great majority of second-hand Mitutoyo objectives are sold without capsules. If the shipper does a very good job packaging the lens, you should have no problems. And even if there were a lens capsule, the shipper would still have to package the lens very well.

I usually put the lens in a small plastic bag, then wrap this with bubble wrap, then bed this in packing peanuts or other material, inside a cardboard box.

--Chris S.

DavidG1980

Post by DavidG1980 »

Thank you Chris,
So i will just ask him to send as suggested,
thanks!
David

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

David,

China? Be very careful. Lots of the objectives I see from there look very rough, so I would be concerned of the shape, even if it was packaged properly. Be sure to test it when you receive it. If there is an issue return the lens.

BTW I have bought a few lenses from South Korea and the shipper deserves an award for perfection, I couldn't have done better myself! China. Not so much.

I think we need to start a seller experience list to help others.

Robert
Last edited by RobertOToole on Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DavidG1980

Post by DavidG1980 »

Hi Robert,

No no ... the objective is from a US based seller, i was planning on sending him a vial so he could ship it properly, but the vials are shipped only from China.

David

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

DavidG1980 wrote:Hi Robert,

No no ... the objective is from a US based seller, i was planning on sending him a vial so he could ship it properly, but the vials are shipped only from China.

David
Thats good to hear.

I promise to read more carefully next time :D

Hope the lens shows up in good shape. The Mitty 10x is a super lens.

Robert

DavidG1980

Post by DavidG1980 »

RobertOToole wrote:David,

China? Be very careful. Lots of the objectives I see from there look very rough, so I would be concerned of the shape, even if it was packaged properly. Be sure to test it when you receive it. If there is an issue return the lens.

BTW I have bought a few lenses from South Korea and the shipper deserves an award for perfection, I couldn't have done better myself! China. Not so much.

I think we need to start a seller experience list to help others.

Robert
You are right, most objectives i see from Chinese sellers look like they have been played Golf with. I have no idea what they were using them for, i was tempted to buy a rough one with a decent glass and a beaten barrel, something more robust than a Mitty... still contemplating.

Macrero

Post by Macrero »

David,

as Chris said, there should not be any problem if the objective is send without vial if it is properly wrapped/packaged. Mitus are delicate, but not that delicate.

As to cosmetic condition, I've owned Mitutoyo objectives that were in really poor cosmetic condition with deep scratches on the barrel, but IQ was just perfect, on the other hand I tried objectives in great condition cosmetically and (apparently) optically, but quality was poor, they were likely dropped, disassembled or... who knows. Btw, the "poor" ones came from China and the "good" ones from US, so that's not a guarantee.

Best,

- Macrero
https://500px.com/macrero - Amateurs worry about equipment, Pros worry about money, Masters worry about Light

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic