Newbie first attempt

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

stephenlewis

Newbie first attempt

Post by stephenlewis »

Hello there.

As a new member here and someone who is new to macro photography I thought the members would be interested to see my first macro photograph. Well maybe not the first but certainly the first half decent one, and any advice would be welcome.

It’s taken a little while to sort out various aspects such as the lighting, mounting the subject, the step length, and the stacking software, and there are some shortcomings in this image which are as result of not perfecting any of these aspects just yet.

The photograph was taken using a Nikon D800, Sigma 105 macro, mounted on a Wemacro rail. The subject was a red speckled jewel beetle.

I finished up with 180 photographs. After some experimentation with the software the best results were produced by dividing the photographs up into into five stacks each with 36 photographs. Each individual stack was processed using Zerene Stacker to produce a Dmap image, and the five resulting images were then stacked into a final image using Dmap. I found that this gave me an image with fewer artefacts. The final image was processed using a combination of Photoshop and Topaz.

Thanks for looking.

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

Excellent!

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Stephen,

Wow, you've certainly set the bar high for a 1st image!!

Beautiful image sir!!

Best,

Mike

micro_pix

Post by micro_pix »

Very nice. I like the idea of stacking in groups and then stacking the resulting images to reduce artifacts, I’ll give it a go.

David

Olympusman

First attempt

Post by Olympusman »

Zowie!

Mike
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic