Best value used DSLR for microscope

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

MichaelBrock

Best value used DSLR for microscope

Post by MichaelBrock »

I am using a AO 20 microscope w/ a trinocular head. I am currently taking photos with my hand-held point & shoot camera and I'd like to up my game. I am rather on the "frugal" side with not a lot of money to spend. I'd like to get a DSLR body to set up "permanently" on the microscope. I won't be making large prints out of the photographs taken (mostly for sharing online or recording finds). I would like video capability but again I only need "functional" rather than top range. I have been looking at the Sony NEX-5N as a well priced (~$150 for a used body) and quite capable option (touch screen lcd, mirror less, wifi, ir remote capable). Are there are any other cameras I should be looking it?

Thanks,

Michael

Ichthyophthirius

Post by Ichthyophthirius »

Hi Michael,

Canon 500D, 550D, 600D as well as
1000D and 1100D

to be controled by a computer with Canon's free software through tethered shooting.

They are vibration-free when operated from LiveView and have good image quality; the video got better with the later models.

Regards, Ichty

MichaelBrock

Post by MichaelBrock »

Thanks for the suggestions. The 500D and 550D seem to be in the same ballpark as the NEX-5N (as far as being in the same price range for body-only). I will definitely check them out. I really like the idea of LiveView but wasn't ready to pay the extra $ for it over the NEX-5N.

Michael
Ichthyophthirius wrote:Hi Michael,

Canon 500D, 550D, 600D as well as
1000D and 1100D

to be controled by a computer with Canon's free software through tethered shooting.

They are vibration-free when operated from LiveView and have good image quality; the video got better with the later models.

Regards, Ichty

JohnyM

Post by JohnyM »

Nex5N runs ONLY in live view. Is as good/better as canon camera with every aspect, but i think this model cannot be tethered via PC.

harisA

Post by harisA »

An important factor is the coverage (image circle) of your current objectives.Old objectives have very small image circles which can't cover an APS sensor.You can get a rough idea by using a piece of white paper above the trino head and measure the diameter of the light spot.

MichaelBrock

Post by MichaelBrock »

My understanding of what "Live View' is was completely off the mark! Somehow I came to think it was tethering with a "live" remote view of what the camera was seeing. I get it now!

Mike
JohnyM wrote:Nex5N runs ONLY in live view. Is as good/better as canon camera with every aspect, but i think this model cannot be tethered via PC.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

MichaelBrock wrote:My understanding of what "Live View' is was completely off the mark! Somehow I came to think it was tethering with a "live" remote view of what the camera was seeing. I get it now!
Now I'm confused.

That description of Live View is exactly how I would describe what Canons do.

In addition to providing a real-time remote view of what the camera is seeing, Live View has the helpful side effect of making the Canon take single exposures by using EFSC -- Electronic First Shutter Curtain -- which eliminates shutter vibration at start of exposure. (Mirror vibration is already gone because the mirror is up and mechanical shutter is open during Live View, and they stay that way while the single frame image capture is begun using EFSC.)

Can you explain in more detail what your new understanding is?

--Rik

MichaelBrock

Post by MichaelBrock »

My current understanding of "Live View" goes along these lines and is a result of research online:

Original DSLRs did not have lcd screens which showed the actual preview of the "live" shot. You used the view finder to compose, focus, etc. Live View was common on point & shoot cameras though as they often did not have view finders So the view on the lcd was the actual view and you focus while viewing the lcd. So "Live View" on a DLSR is the capability to focus and compose the shot strictly from the view on the LCD. Clearly advantageous for use on a microscope, especially when you can tilt the LCD to be seen from where you're sitting.

So the ability to tether and view the "live view" is distinct from "live view". The Sony NEX-5n has "live view" but is not capable of being tethered to the computer. The recent Canon cameras do both.

As I said, that's at least my understanding of it (but my understanding is often a little disconnected from reality).

Michael
rjlittlefield wrote:
MichaelBrock wrote:My understanding of what "Live View' is was completely off the mark! Somehow I came to think it was tethering with a "live" remote view of what the camera was seeing. I get it now!
Now I'm confused.

That description of Live View is exactly how I would describe what Canons do.

In addition to providing a real-time remote view of what the camera is seeing, Live View has the helpful side effect of making the Canon take single exposures by using EFSC -- Electronic First Shutter Curtain -- which eliminates shutter vibration at start of exposure. (Mirror vibration is already gone because the mirror is up and mechanical shutter is open during Live View, and they stay that way while the single frame image capture is begun using EFSC.)

Can you explain in more detail what your new understanding is?

--Rik

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Thanks, that explanation is very clear and makes perfect sense. I am pretty familiar with low end Canons, but have never studied Sony NEX.

Separate from tethering to a computer, many cameras can also put the live view on a remote display via HDMI or some similar interface. This connection can be very helpful, but again, there can be devils in the details. Google search on "sony nex 5n live view" turned up the interesting question raised at http://community.sony.com/t5/Alpha-NEX- ... 20280#M180 .

--Rik

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

Last year I bought a used Canon T4i, almost exclusively for macrophotography, since that's at least 80% of what I do.

If purchasing used, I recommend the big distributors like Adorama and B&H. I got my camera from Adorama and have been very happy with the purchase.

Live view is exceptionally useful, since it makes it much easier to compose, especially when using things like extension tubes and reversed lenses, which produce dark images. In fact, were it not for my need for live view on the camera, I would still be using a Canon 350D.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

From "best value" perspective I always recommend the Canon Rebel XS (1000D I believe in EU/UK). For web published images, it produces essentially the same output as the newer T1i...T5i, but instead of downsizing by 4x, you downsize by 3x to produce the same 1296x864 final image. They can be purchased for ~$100-$125 used on eBay so represent what I consider an excellent value.

MichaelBrock

Post by MichaelBrock »

Thanks for the recommendations ray_parkhurst & Deanimator. I will check those out.
ray_parkhurst wrote:From "best value" perspective I always recommend the Canon Rebel XS (1000D I believe in EU/UK). For web published images, it produces essentially the same output as the newer T1i...T5i, but instead of downsizing by 4x, you downsize by 3x to produce the same 1296x864 final image. They can be purchased for ~$100-$125 used on eBay so represent what I consider an excellent value.

Perl

Post by Perl »

Hi

look at Lumix with remote wifi and live view

Regards
Pär
****** Seeing is Believing ******

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Which one Perl? I have one Lumix which makes want never to try another, though its predecessor was OK.
How do you handle its RAW files?
Chris R

Perl

Post by Perl »

the lumix with support for remote app
are the ones i mean

Regards
Pär
****** Seeing is Believing ******

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic