rotary stage for 360 degree-photography

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

nielsgeode

rotary stage for 360 degree-photography

Post by nielsgeode »

I'd like to start creating 360-degrees photos of some of my mineral specimens in my collection. Ideally, I have a rotary stage with a knob to slowly rotate the top part. I profer high-quality, so it is accurate and lasts a long time.

From what I've seen, it looks like most of these stages do not allow a full rotation with the dial/knob, but only a small amount of 10-20 degrees. It looks like full rotation is possible, but not with a high-precision knob.

Is that correct? Are there stages that have a knob that can be turned in the same direction infinitely with the stage making full 360-degree rotations? I'm looking for a used one of brands like Newport, Suruga Seiki, Thorlabs and similar industrial quality.

genera

Post by genera »

I think this one will do what you want:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KLINGER-MICRO-C ... SwmLlX8G3a

But I'd advise against a stage with only high precision positioning, unless it's motorized. 180 degrees at 1 deg or less per revolution can quickly get tedious.

The Newport UTR series stages have +/-2 degrees of fine adjustment and continuous 360 degree coarse rotation. They can be found on eBay for $100-$200, often less. They've made several sizes from about 60mm diameter up to 160mm.
-Gene

nielsgeode

Post by nielsgeode »

genera wrote:I think this one will do what you want:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KLINGER-MICRO-C ... SwmLlX8G3a

But I'd advise against a stage with only high precision positioning, unless it's motorized. 180 degrees at 1 deg or less per revolution can quickly get tedious.

The Newport UTR series stages have +/-2 degrees of fine adjustment and continuous 360 degree coarse rotation. They can be found on eBay for $100-$200, often less. They've made several sizes from about 60mm diameter up to 160mm.
Currently, I have this:

Would there be any advantage over a stage that has a fine-focus knob for a few degrees, compared to this novoflex panorama plate?

Is anyone familiar with Chuo Seiki and the quality of these stages? For example This stage on Ebay.

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

... dunno, I wonder if something like this would do the trick.

https://littlemachineshop.com/products/ ... &category=

-JW:

genera

Post by genera »

Would there be any advantage over a stage that has a fine-focus knob for a few degrees, compared to this novoflex panorama plate?
Only you can answer that question. If you're trying to move in evenly spaced intervals the Newport stage is marked every degree the Novoflex every 10 degrees. If you're scanning the subject for interesting points of view the Newport stage with fine adjustment gives a little better control. If stiction is a concern the fine adjustment might be useful, especially at higher magnifications. On the other hand, it may be good enough to just setup the image in the viewfinder or on the rear display without even looking at the scales on the stage. Before buying something new I'd try what I already had available.
Is anyone familiar with Chuo Seiki and the quality of these stages? For example This stage on Ebay.
I don't have any experience with that brand. According to the description that stage has only a 12 degree adjustment range.
-Gene

elf

Post by elf »

Start with a stepper motor. Add a faceplate (which could be 3d printed). Control it with an Arduino. Cost: $20-$50.

But if you're really serious about photographing minerals, you need a universal stage :D

abednego1995

Post by abednego1995 »

Chuo-Seiki is okay, I've never had problems with their stages. A 360degree capable fine adjustment rotating stage i'm using currently is the KSW-1006 from Sigma Kohki(Opto Sigma outside Japan) Though it doesn't have a clamp screw, it won't wander off because it uses a worm gear.(albeit with some backlash)

https://www.global-optosigma.com/en_us/ ... e=KSW-1006

nielsgeode

Post by nielsgeode »

genera wrote:
Only you can answer that question. If you're trying to move in evenly spaced intervals the Newport stage is marked every degree the Novoflex every 10 degrees. If you're scanning the subject for interesting points of view the Newport stage with fine adjustment gives a little better control. If stiction is a concern the fine adjustment might be useful, especially at higher magnifications. On the other hand, it may be good enough to just setup the image in the viewfinder or on the rear display without even looking at the scales on the stage. Before buying something new I'd try what I already had available.
I don't have any experience with that brand. According to the description that stage has only a 12 degree adjustment range.
I work quite often at higher magnifications (20x is used regularly) and I was thinking if that 12 degree fine adjustment range knob would help me to align the specimen for shooting a single stack. I will never do 360 degree spin photo at that magnification, but getting proper alignment with the novoflex is a bit tricky at high mag's.

I have heard that there's a big difference in quality/durability between the different brands, depending in the materials used (for example stainless steel bearings).

Would the fine adjustment range allow for running two stacks at slightly different angles and thereby creating an actual stereo image from the two stacks? :D

Edit: what is the difference in quality/durability between Chuo Seiki, Suruga Seiki and MMT (Micro Motion Technology)?

SONYNUT

Post by SONYNUT »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DH-55D-Panorami ... Sw5fFZlqv1

ATTACH THIS TO AN ALUMINUM DISK TOP AND BOTTOM
Just shoot it......

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic