Anyone know of an economical monochrome-sensor camera?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

soldevilla

Post by soldevilla »

I have a 400D canon converted to B & W. I have removed the two low pass filters and the bayer matrix. That has greatly increased the camera's sensitivity and resolution (two low-pass filters shatter the image) and the infrared sensitivity is fantastic. I have used it in tests with an infrared filter and the images obtained are very interesting.
I modified it for an archeology project that could not be done for other reasons. If you are interested I can sell it very cheap (we speak by PM).

Problem (there is always a problem): By removing the layers on the chip, the focus point has varied, and the autofocus is not just perfect especially when working with open diaphragms. You have to focus as in the old days, and that does not always work out.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

That camera would be very nice, thanks for offering it, but for my application I would prefer a silent-shutter camera, and it must have live view. As Aenima mentioned, there are some nice-looking Micro Four Thirds astrophotography cameras that might work, but they are said to show bad diffraction/reflection patterns around bright objects. Does anyone have microscope experience with these: ZWO ASI 1600MM, QHY163M (though I don't see how to connect the latter to an MFT lens)?

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I've just bought the QHY163M astrophoto camera with cooled sensor. Now I have to figure out how to trigger it with WeMacro or Stackshot controllers.

Aenima

Post by Aenima »

Lou
With regards to the reflection problem on the Qhy163m they only really appear on bright stars, a strong pinpoint of light surrounded by darkness. Unless you will be shooting subjects that might resemble stars it's possible you might not see any reflections.
I would be very interested in how you get on when using the camera on a microscope, if you don't mind posting updates?

Jay

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Aenima, I love it, but I still need to learn more about it. In particular, can you suggest a good batch processor to convert a set of FITS files to 16-bit tiffs?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic