Photomacrography of Microscope Slides

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

DaveW

Photomacrography of Microscope Slides

Post by DaveW »

Was browsing the Web and came across this article. I don't know if it has been linked to before?

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/art ... lides.html

DaveW

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

Thanks for that Dave.

It's where 'I'm at' at the moment and the link you provided has been rather timely.

Craig

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I went through the Student Links at the bottom of the above aritcle and found one on stacking using a copy stand and a lab jack:-

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/art ... kl-cz5.pdf

I would have thought a lab jack would have been rather too coarse an adjustment for stacking, at least at higher magnifications? Also their height adjustment is non linear, at least with the one I have, as it uses the "lazy tongs" principle, so the higher it gets the quicker it rises per turn of the adjustment knob.

DaveW

microcollector

Post by microcollector »

I use a micrometer driven z-axis stage that I purchased from Edmunds Optical. It has 1 cm of total travel and can be adjusted in .01 mm with ease as that it the division on the micrometer thimble. I had used a lab jack at one time and this is a vast improvement as it eliminates any slop. It has worked well for photographing minerals. The only drawback would be the cost, $360.00 US.

Doug
micro minerals - the the unseen beauty of the mineral kingdom
Canon T5i with Canon 70 - 200 mm f4L zoom as tube lens set at 200mm, StacK Shot rail, and Mitutoyo 5X or 10X M plan apo objectives.

My Mindat Mineral Photos
http://www.mindat.org/user-362.html#2

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

Hi Doug,
I've been building a positioner using similar components to those you mentioned for 'fine focus'.
See thread here

The precision and build quality deserve respect. You can usually buy S/H units and components at reasonable prices. The options are almost endless in regard to add-ons.

DaveW, I've been reading through some of the other articles also. It's always good to see other peoples' methods and approach. I didn't know what a 'thimble lens' was and then worked out from some of the student's setups displayed that I have at least two of them.

I know this forum would be of priceless help to any serious student and any seasoned professional for that matter. The vast and respectable array of tutors and mentors we have here, not to mention the accumulated years of experience, quite often astounds me - a humble apprentice.

Craig

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic