Fly carcass with dermestid larva, all stereo

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Fly carcass with dermestid larva, all stereo

Post by rjlittlefield »

Warning: probably only serious stereo junkies will enjoy these images.

The story here is that, a long time ago, I wanted to look at some bits of a fly. So, I grabbed a recently deceased one from a windowsill and ran a pin between its legs to fasten it to a piece of balsa that I could handle more easily.

Curiosity satisfied, I then went on to other things, leaving the dead fly fastened to the piece of balsa, sitting unprotected on a countertop. There it sat, for, oh, months. (This is my special countertop, exempt from normal cleaning processes.)

This evening I happened to notice that the specimen was now interesting as an example of what happens to dead animals that are left lying around to be discovered by carpet beetles.

Stereo pairs, all cross eye.

The top image is almost the whole frame; the others are all crops of the same stereo pair.

This is synthetic stereo from Zerene Stacker, processed as (+-)3% shifts using PMax, from a stack shot at 2X on APS-C, 92 frames at 0.1 mm focus step, Canon T1i with MP-E 65 at f/5.6, two Jansjö LEDs covered with single layer of Kleenex tissue.

The focus stepping was done with an iShoot Macro Focusing Rail 150, the model discussed at http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 280#203280 and more recently at http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=35021 .

--Rik

MacroLab3D

Post by MacroLab3D »

love it in 3D. Always amazing. Different world. Thanks for sharing!

Saul

Post by Saul »

Interesting set. What are these "hairs " on the wing (2nd photo) ?
Saul
μ-stuff

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Saul wrote:What are these "hairs " on the wing (2nd photo) ?
I'm not sure, but I think they are hairs from the dermestid larva.

--Rik

Sumguy01

Post by Sumguy01 »

:D very nice stereo .
Fun.
Thanks for sharing.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic