cool subject stage of unknown origin

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

nathanm

cool subject stage of unknown origin

Post by nathanm »

I recently "found" this in a bunch of surplus stuff I had bought a few years ago. I assume it is some sort of an optical inspection rig for something, but I don't know what. I am curious if anybody else knows.

The stage has dovetail slots for attaching other things to it. It has x-y and rotation.

In addition the microscope tilts back and forth about 15 degrees off of vertical

My plan is to take the microscope off and replace it with the stage to my high magnification set up. I'll post pictures when it is done.
nathanm

Troels

Post by Troels »

Obvioulsy something round and flat is meant to be fixed to the big circle in the middle.
It could be a machine for very precise work on silicon wafers. Integrated circuits or solar wafers?
Troels Holm, biologist (retired), environmentalist, amateur photographer.
Visit my Flickr albums

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

The base shouts "Measurescope" -
Chris R

nathanm

Post by nathanm »

Indeed some sort of measuring or inspecting makes sense.

The size of the stage, and the apparent low power of the objective suggest it is a machine tool inspection / measuring tool rather than semiconductor.

The stage is rather big by macro standards, but I sometimes shoot a small part of a larger thing that I don't want to cut up. It sure is nice having all those degrees of freedom, so I think it will work out well, but we shall see...
nathanm

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

What's the second eyepiece about? :-k
It doesn't look as though it would move to the axis?
Chris R

Peter M. Macdonald

Post by Peter M. Macdonald »

This is a toolmaker's or machinist's microscope. They are used in precision engineering for measuring component sizes.

I have a large Leitz toolmaker's scope. It is a heavy beast of a thing. The base is a single lump of cast iron, about 11 mm thick. It took two of us to lift it from a trolley onto the top of a cabinet, but it makes for a great base for a stacking setup. All of those adjustments give you four directions of movement for positioning of the subject and also a way to rough in the vertical position of the stacking controller, such as a Stackshot. I have removed the head from my scope and replaced it with a hardwood board. The board has two Arca style clamps bolted to it. It is then very easy to mount the Stackshot very firmly.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic