www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Sigma APO MACRO 180mm f/2.8EX, 1:1 resolving power
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Sigma APO MACRO 180mm f/2.8EX, 1:1 resolving power
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Micro Technique and Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LVF

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject: Lou and Robert Reply with quote

Later today (its 6:20 am here in Sequim, Washington) I will finally post my 1:2 photo comparison between the Nikkor 300mm lens + attached 17E II TC lenses to the Sigma APO MACRO 180mm lens.

There was an unexpected result with the Sigma lens which may be very controversial. I expect Robert to chime in on my findings since he has used the Sigma macro lens for many years.

Leon
Lou Jost

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look forward to seeing the results.
RobertOToole

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Lou and Robert Reply with quote

LVF wrote:
Later today (its 6:20 am here in Sequim, Washington) I will finally post my 1:2 photo comparison between the Nikkor 300mm lens + attached 17E II TC lenses to the Sigma APO MACRO 180mm lens.

There was an unexpected result with the Sigma lens which may be very controversial. I expect Robert to chime in on my findings since he has used the Sigma macro lens for many years.

Leon

Hi Leon,

Just got back in town, did you have a chance to post the findings? I didnt see any? Did I miss something?

Looking forward to seeing the test results.

Robert
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Lou and Robert Reply with quote

RobertOToole wrote:
Just got back in town, did you have a chance to post the findings? I didnt see any? Did I miss something?

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34994 , perhaps?

--Rik
JohnKoerner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of years ago, I wrote a very long article explaining why the Sigma 180 Apo Macro was the best 'single' field macro lens for a nature photographer. (Compared to the Canon 180 and Nikkor 200.)

It is a great lens, has AF, a tripod collar, very good resolution (for its class) and provided a lot of solutions within its price point.

That said, I upgraded to the Voigtländer SL 125mm f/2.5 APO-Lanthar Macro for close-up work (better in every way for critical macro work) ... while simultaneously upgrading to the Nikkor 300 VR II for longer-range, quick 'nail the shot now' work.

As I posted in LVF's other thread, to compare the lower-level Nikkor 300 f/4 to the Sigma 180 at 1:2 (handicapping the Nikon with a 1.7 TC) is as unfair as comparing the Sigma 180 (handicapped with a 1.7) with to the Nikkor at 300mm. Both lenses will fail to beat each other at their own game.

That said, the vastly-superior Nikkor 300mm f/2.8 VR II will beat the Sigma with an extender, at 1:2, and blow it out of the water at 300mm, without one. And I have owned both.

The Sigma is a great tool overall, but (except for AF when you need it) it cannot match the Voigtländer at critical 1:2, or 1:1, shots either. And it sure isn't going to match the standard for excellence at 300mm
RobertOToole

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Lou and Robert Reply with quote

rjlittlefield wrote:
RobertOToole wrote:

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34994 , perhaps?

--Rik

Thats it, thanks Rik!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Micro Technique and Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: