$17 Plan Achromat Surprise Objective

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

ray_parkhurst wrote:
mawyatt wrote:...I have a Canon 35mm F2.8 macro that covers 1.5 to 6X on a bellows, but gets significantly outperformed by the Nikon PlanApo 4X/0.20 from 2.5 to 6 according to the Coinimaging site...
This is only true in the center of APS-C. Even at the PlanApo optimum magnification of 4x, the 35MP is superior at the corners of APS-C for sharpness. The comparison is even more tilted toward the 35MP at other magnifications, and I would assume also for FF or larger sensors.
My findings 100% agree with Ray's.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

mawyatt wrote:
Anyone have suggestions on a known good 160mm lens as a tube?
Hi Mike,

I have not tried this exact model but the Raynox 6x model from the CM-3500 kit is +5.9 diopter = 170mm focal length.

I have not used that model but I have had very good results with other Raynox as tube lenses.

That one might be a little hard to find but the same lens is available with a couple of other labels, all +5.9.

The 6x model from the CM-3500
Also known as Raynox video microscope lens 35x
Also known as the RAYNOX DIGITAL CAMERA MACROSCOPIC LENS 2X

All of the above have the same mount and filter threads.

You can see the full Raynox lens list here:
https://www.closeuphotography.com/raynox/

The Raynox IDs on my site are from actually measuring the focal lengths of the lenses I own using extension.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

mawyatt wrote:Robert,

I've looked at your colored pencil image, and it looks great to me. How do these objectives compare with your Nikons for both FX and DX use around 4X? Are they still available from the site you mentioned above?
Hi Mike,

That $17 lens more consistent edge to edge than the Plan APO 4Xs and is sharp enough but the Nikons are brilliantly sharp and better corrected for CAs.

I think if center sharpness is the most important factor go for the APO 4X infinity corrected model for sure but be prepared for IQ fall off in the corners. (the finite Plan APO version seems to have even worse fall off)

I plan to do a 4X shoot-out one day but I just got back from 10+ days in Alaska so that will have to wait awhile.

Yes the lens is listed as in stock at both links, Ebay, and from the sellers website.

Hope that helps.

Robert

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

I thought I would give this objective a try considering the price. This was not a stacked image.

-JW:

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Wow, interesting, I like this one.

Is that a slice of a meteorite?

Did you notice the left edge looks softer and the right edge looks tack sharp?

Robert

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Beautiful Smokedaddy!!

Robert, think I'll give this a try for $17!! Thanks for letting us know about this lens.

Best,

Mike

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

RobertOToole wrote:Wow, interesting, I like this one.

Robert
I noticed that too. But it can be caused many things, such as the meteorite slice itself not being perfectly flat.
Selling my Canon FD 200mm F/2.8 lens

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

This is the only 4x microscope objective I own. I was going to buy a Nikon CFN PlanApo 4x 0.20 but thought I'd try this inexpensive objective based on the posting. Not that I choose a great area on this meteorite thin slice to photograph but I wanted to try a short stack. The first image was a center area crop, 25% I think. This is an 8 image stack using Zerene. The second image below is a 100% crop.

-JW:

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

Robert
Thanks ... yes and yes. The image needed to be stacked, that was simply a single shot image.

-JW:

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

RobertOToole wrote:
mawyatt wrote:
Anyone have suggestions on a known good 160mm lens as a tube?
Hi Mike,

I have not tried this exact model but the Raynox 6x model from the CM-3500 kit is +5.9 diopter = 170mm focal length.

I have not used that model but I have had very good results with other Raynox as tube lenses.

That one might be a little hard to find but the same lens is available with a couple of other labels, all +5.9.

The 6x model from the CM-3500
Also known as Raynox video microscope lens 35x
Also known as the RAYNOX DIGITAL CAMERA MACROSCOPIC LENS 2X

All of the above have the same mount and filter threads.

You can see the full Raynox lens list here:
https://www.closeuphotography.com/raynox/

The Raynox IDs on my site are from actually measuring the focal lengths of the lenses I own using extension.
Robert,

Took a quick look at the Raynox CM-3500 and it's discontinued, so will probably need to watch eBay in case one shows up.

BTW I visited your site and really interested in your use of the Nikon Scanner lens. Do you think this will turn as good as a Printing Nikon around 1:1? There was a group of these scanners on eBay, but they were all expensive and the lower cost items were parts of the scanner that didn't include the lens. So another thing to watch for.

What is a good price range for these lenses if they show up?

Best,

Mike

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Smokedaddy wrote:

Robert
Thanks ... yes and yes. The image needed to be stacked, that was simply a single shot image.

-JW:
Makes perfect sense, thanks!

Robert

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

mawyatt wrote:
Took a quick look at the Raynox CM-3500 and it's discontinued, so will probably need to watch eBay in case one shows up.
There are 3 Raynox sets that have that same lens, CM-3500, the VM-3000 VIDEO MICROEXPLORER SET, and the RAYNOX MSO-3030 MACRO LENS SET.

I set up an ebay search with notifications on Ebay and picked up a MSO-3030 set for $40-50 a couple of months ago.
mawyatt wrote:BTW I visited your site and really interested in your use of the Nikon Scanner lens. Do you think this will turn as good as a Printing Nikon around 1:1?
Not sure since I don't own a Printing-Nikkor but it looks like are the same or very very similar. In any case the Scanner-Nikkor is spectacular. No CAs anywhere and no drop off in the extreme corner. I can email you a full size image if you are curious.

mawyatt wrote:There was a group of these scanners on eBay, but they were all expensive and the lower cost items were parts of the scanner that didn't include the lens. So another thing to watch for.
An auction ended earlier this month for a 8000 or 9000 super coolscan that ended at $215 or so if you keep your eyes open you can grab one for a great price.
mawyatt wrote:What is a good price range for these lenses if they show up?
I paid $200 and $150 for my two 14 element lenses and $120 for a 7 element. Using Ebay's search with a sold filter I did see two 14 element lenses sell over the last couple of months, one for $220 and one for $190. I think anything around or below $500 is a awesome deal.

BTW I see that there are only 3 of the mounting tubes that I used left on the Ebay seller's listing so I would snap one of those up just to make sure you have one for when you do find the lens. I do have some other mounting methods just in case those tubes become scarce.

Robert

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Smokedaddy wrote:This is the only 4x microscope objective I own. I was going to buy a Nikon CFN PlanApo 4x 0.20 but thought I'd try this inexpensive objective based on the posting. Not that I choose a great area on this meteorite thin slice to photograph but I wanted to try a short stack. The first image was a center area crop, 25% I think. This is an 8 image stack using Zerene. The second image below is a 100% crop.

-JW:
Smokedaddy,

What type of lighting did you use to get these spectacular colors, they are stunning!! Is this coloring due to the sample material?

Best,

Mike

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

Mike, nothing complex, just transmitted POL along with different retarders (1/4, 1/2 or full wave) just like you might use photographing Microcrystals. Examples of different retarders start at the link below. The first image that pops up in the link below had no retarder and is transmitted POL, the next directly to the right of the thumbnail is a full wave, 1/4 then 1/2 respectively (all of the same image). The colors revealed by the polarized light are influenced by the different levels of magnesium and iron in the olivine and pyroxene crystals etc. in a particular meteorite sample.

https://squattingdog.smugmug.com/Meteor ... /i-nRgKdHm

-JW:

Searust

Post by Searust »

Just got my $17 lens in the mail this AM ... I have to find all of the parts to use an objective again, very eager to test.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic