I went and volunteered (sigh)

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ChrisR
Site Admin

I went and volunteered (sigh)

Post by ChrisR »

A local school was about to pay someone to do some "photo science" talks for 11-14's. Sounded easy. I thought I could do that.
I've been collecting questions. One day I may have all the answers.

Does light go in straight lines through time, as well?
How many wavelengths of light are there in a photon and does it depend on colour? Are the UV ones more powerful because you can fit more in?
Yes the soap’s pretty but can we play bubbles?
Does the angle difference for the magnetic bit of a circular polarised ray make it like it’s out of phase? (An 11 year old!!)
Why do you get cameras without phones if they’re so clever?
So, can you buy that calcite stuff left and right handed?
If my brother shone your laser up his pee where would it come out?
Why is blue light cold when it’s hotter to get it?
Can I go home I’m bored?
Why doesn’t light stop vibrating at absolute zero?
Are things still fluorescent the same at absolute zero, because the atoms stop?
My Mum says your bubbles stained by blouse and what are you going to do about it?
Why doesn’t the green beetle change colour like the diffraction thingy? (grating).
What makes light speed up when it comes out of the glass?
Does gin and tonic make your pee glow blue?
NO, Blue and Yellow make Green, I’m NOT wrong.... (....tears...)
Can you get invisible UV lasers, to blind people?

Last days coming up. I have a FLIR E5 camera. I can show them this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2PoPh2B9qo . There should be enough complaints that I won't be asked back??
Chris R

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Chris,

Sounds like a Smart and Cheeky bunch!!

BTW what does make light speed up when it comes out of glass?

Best,

Mike

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

Wow :shock:
Were the students asked to produce those questions as homework and did some parents help :twisted: I did see some honest children questions though.
Last edited by zzffnn on Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Selling my Canon FD 200mm F/2.8 lens

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Does gin and tonic make your pee glow blue?
If so, why? If not, why not? An answer to this deserves the Nobel 8)

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

It's just a few who don't do enough climbing of trees and falling off mountain bikes, who read too much for their own good!

Pee is a perennial interest, it seems. The G&T question was easy - "Don't be ridiculous, the quinine in the tonic water is fluorescent, not phosphorescent. I told you not to take a UV light into the bathroom". (Having shown the "too much information" picture you get if you do....) The questioner smiled at the answer, at least. Actually it has been unusually hot here. and I like drinking tonic water. I must see what gets metabolised, with a Nichia..

The light speeding up one, I had a go at answering - it never slowed down, it was just bouncing around a lot between the atoms in the glass. All lossless collisions - Newton's cradle type metal balls bouncing their way through a 3D maze of big metal balls, sort of idea. One brow furrowed with "but you said it was a wave". I was approaching one of those event horizons beyond which one says too much and is doomed. So I said it was "a bit like" a superposition of quantum states rippling through - and retreated to the bouncy ball analogy. The italicised part being my waffle fog.

Homework? Heavens no, I'm not a proper teacher, I just do some after-school bits. I'm still a registered plumber, with an ID card to prove it.
Chris R

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

The questions are great! :smt023
(The Force is strong with these young ones...)

Too bad the video is fake... :(

--Rik

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Chris,

Don't downplay plumbers!!

Didn't a San Francisco plumber challenge Steven Hawking to what happens to physical information entering a Black Hole, Steven indicated it's gone which evidently violates the rule all information in the universe is constant. After a number of discussions where Steven dug a deeper hole, he finally came forward and admitted he was wrong!! The information gets "stored" in the Event Horizon evidently.

Anyway, take this as gossip, I didn't Google this to make it look like I know what I'm taking about :>)

Best,

Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic