Centipede and Millipede

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Deanimator

Centipede and Millipede

Post by Deanimator »

I went out to the parking lot very late last night with my adapted LED headlamp focusing lamp.

I found a couple of things I wasn't even expecting, a LARGE house centipede (a good 2" - 2 1/2") and a few millipedes.

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Millipedes are cool 8) Don't know about the centipedes. Nice shots. :D

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

Ken Ramos wrote:Millipedes are cool 8) Don't know about the centipedes. Nice shots. :D
Thanks.

I don't mind the centipedes outdoors. Indoors, they get the "Doctor No" treatment.

They could be a little sharper, but it's REALLY hard, handheld at night, which is the only time anything comes out here. I wish I could use live view and zoom in, but on manual, it's just a black screen in these conditions, even with the LED lamp.

I'm going to try for some more tonight.

I missed some good shots waiting for my flash to recycle. I think the batteries are dying. I'll pick up some more today.

tpe

Post by tpe »

The house centipede is very cool, odd how the head end looks thinner than the tail end. Kind of counter intuitive and unlike other centipedes with those huge feet/teeth and eyes it has.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

tpe wrote:The house centipede is very cool, odd how the head end looks thinner than the tail end. Kind of counter intuitive and unlike other centipedes with those huge feet/teeth and eyes it has.
It's probably some sort of adaptation, like the legs which continue to stridulate when detached.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic