PLEASE don't ONLY use external image stores!

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ChrisR
Site Admin

PLEASE don't ONLY use external image stores!

Post by ChrisR »

Photobucket seems to be another image store which is "going bad":
http://uk.pcmag.com/webcom/90124/news/p ... e-internet .

As far as I'm aware, any of the free hosting services could do something similar.

We realise that the 1024 square image size upload here is restrictive, but it's very depressing to look at an old post and find the images gone altogether.

Remember that you can put a 1024 square picture here, such that clicking on the picture will link to an outside site.
The format would be similar to :

Code: Select all

[url=address_of_picture_on_external_site] [img]http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/userpix/xxxxxxxxxxxx.jpg[/img][/url] 
Chris R

elf

Post by elf »

How hard would it be to copy the linked images onto the photomicrography.net servers? I would certainly give permission to have my old thread images copied.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

That's one reason why I have my own web server, although I typically just upload to my Newsguy.com page.

My test obviously worked, so I'm going to start using my server exclusively.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

elf wrote:How hard would it be to copy the linked images onto the photomicrography.net servers? I would certainly give permission to have my old thread images copied.
Offhand I don't know. It is conceptually straightforward but there would be a lot of details to get right. For what it's worth, the issue applies to me also. Most of my images are stored on my own website. That works well as long as I'm functional to maintain it. But if I get hit by a truck and my heirs overlook that part of the succession plan, it might not be long before things started to disappear. I find that thought disturbing -- not so much the truck, but the loss of info.

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic